News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Easyvibe ICs

Started by mcasey1, December 27, 2006, 01:26:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcasey1

Which direction should the notch in the ICs face in this layout, up or down?

http://aronnelson.com/gallery/slackers-stuff/easyvibeboard_final

Barcode80

general rule with vero is we always make them with the IC notch facing up. well, more of a "guideline" but a safe bet in most cases.

petemoore

If you have the right chip data sheet pinout for the layout/schematic, just checking that the PS Gnd.'s or V+'s match...you should be safe.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

slacker

The notch goes at the top, good luck with it :)

JonFrum

What ICs go into that build? The original schematic has four dual opamps in it.

petemoore

8 x singles
4 x dual
2 x quad
= 8 OA total.
  I did 'em with duals.
  Quads..haven't read the reviews on.
  Singles..save space and use D's or Q's.

JonFrum

A more specific suggestion for the IC-challenged? I'm making up a parts list now for a future order.

Edit: Never mind - the right search terms will do wonders...  :icon_redface:

slacker

I've updated the layout to show the orientation of the ICs and included some example ICs. I used TL074s for my build, because that's what I use for pretty much everything that needs multiple opamps.

GibsonGM

I used the original schem, using 2 - 2TL064's,  quad op-amps.  I never did get the "clicking" of the oscillator to stop bleeding through into the audio path, and that's a common complaint.  I'm rebuilding it this weekend with the oscillator offboard.  IMO, I'd recommend using the 4 dual OA version for that reason alone.  Plus, R.G. and others have modified the ckt somewhat over time, likely improving it a lot...
Quads are more compact, but more exacting. 
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

slacker

Mine doesn't click at all. I used one of the quads for the phase shift stages and the other for the input section and LFO. I don't think using duals instead of quads is necessarily going to reduce the chances of the LFO bleeding into the audio, because you're still going to have to use one of the duals for audio and a part of the LFO.

oldrocker

As far as I can tell mine isn't ticking at all.  I used  dual op-amps, 2 TL072's and 2 TL082's.  It's what I had at the time and they work great.  I used John hollis' hand drawn schem to build mine.  I perf boarded it so maybe I got lucky laying it out and that's why I don't have the ticking problem.  I do have ticking in the Zombie Chorus but at certain settings it's not noticeable.

GibsonGM

Yeh, don't use mine as an example, LOL.  My layout sucked; the ticking may be from having multiple grounding points instead of star grounding, or the messy wiring laying over everything, ha ha ha!  I put the LFO on 1 chip, along with the last filter section....could have been that, maybe.   Who knows? 

Now that I know the circuit fairly well, I'm rebuilding the whole damn thing - oscillator offboard, 1 star ground, wiring run off to the side & better layout.  It was the most complex perf I'd done at the time;  sounded great except for clicking, though!  You don't notice it when playing BOS  ;D

• SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Barcode80

oldrocker, which layout did you use for that? i have a bunch of tlo72's around, wouldn't mind buildin the easyvibe.

petemoore

Duals / Clicks here...worse when a booster or so is on, gone when speed control is all the way slow, I have the 'ziptie-- speed footcontroller knob' on it!

oldrocker

I used the hand drawn schematic posted on the John Hollis site.  I didn't use a layout.  I just followed the schem and soldered components onto the perf and it worked.  I know I don't believe it either.  I wish I had a perf layout to work from on this.  There is a perf layout out there somewhere but I didn't know it at the time.
http://www.logmonster.com/images/full/?pic=Easyvibe_1156334381-422-13241.jpg