Smoothing out the fizz in a TS based circuit.

Started by skiraly017, December 29, 2006, 09:19:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skiraly017

I recently purchased a current production OD pedal that has a great EQ section and retains the sound of my guitar when engaged. My only issue with the pedal is that as notes/chords decay, they start to fizz out. Since the pedal is current production I really don't want to say to much about the layout out of respect for the builder. What I can say is this...it looks to be TS based and has two diode sections. One pair of 1N4001's and then three 1N914/1N4148's setup for what looks like asymmetrical clipping. I'd like to smooth out the clipping. Would changing out the 4001's help? I know that I'm not providing a whole lot of info and I'm sorry. I'd like to know if there's anything simple I can do to affect the sound of the clipping. If it's something simple I'll carefully mod the pedal. If not I'll sell it and move on. Thanks.
"Why do things that happen to stupid people keep happening to me?" - Homer Simpson

dano12

I've seen some folks put a small value cap in the feedback loop to smooth out the clipping. Don't know if it will help with the specific fizz problem, but it is easy enough to try.

darron

i recently just changed a clipping diode (with a switch luckily) in my tubescreamer that replaces one of the silicon clipping diodes with a germanium OA-91. This will make it VERY asymmetrical. It does just what you say. Sounds okay but once the chord/note dies down it losses a lot of volume steeply and fizzes out to a boring (? hehe) tone. the diode is fine, i tried two and my soldering doesn't damage it. i leave it set on silicon since the fizzle makes me not want to use it.
Blood, Sweat & Flux. Pedals made with lasers and real wires!