Clark/Barber Gainster pics !

Started by Dragonfly, December 30, 2006, 09:18:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dragonfly

I'm not really interested in reverse engineering this pedal or posting pics that will allow others to do it...BUT...i was VERY impressed with the construction quality for this pedal. Dave Barber continues to set the standard just a *bit* higher...

AC

JimRayden

Never seen a layout so much lacking of wires.... just half an inch of bare wire whereever possible. The pots and jacks can be considered as almost-PCB-mount. Great job.

Never heard of the Barber guy though. Should I be?

----------
Jimbo

Dragonfly

Quote from: JimRayden on December 30, 2006, 09:36:57 PM
Never heard of the Barber guy though. Should I be?

----------
Jimbo

yep...he makes GREAT sounding pedals.  also, some cool "tweaks" and mods can be found on his site that apply not only to *his* pedals, but to many other pedals as well. (stacked opamps, bass tweaks, etc)

He stops in here occasionally.

BARBER ELECTRONICS

AC

jonathan perez

THAT is totally admirable!

i love the fact that there arent very many wires going on...nice and clean.

actually, i kicked my barber burn unit off the board cause i didnt care for it...

a month later, its right back on, after i tweaked the internal EQ (OFF) and turned the DYNAMICS all the way down...HEAVEN!  :D
no longer the battle of midway...(i left that band)...

i hate signatures with gear lists/crap for sale....

i am a wah pervert...ask away...

markm

He builds some nice stuff but, I have never cared for any of his pedals.....don't know why just not for me I guess.

JimRayden

I'll check out the guy's webpage.

Ahh yes, dragonfly, I'm still expecting a full version of your avatar pic in my mailbox, you said you had it. ;D

---------
Jimbo

Dragonfly

Quote from: JimRayden on December 30, 2006, 11:46:47 PM

Ahh yes, dragonfly, I'm still expecting a full version of your avatar pic in my mailbox, you said you had it. ;D

---------
Jimbo

PM me your email address, and i'll email it to you...i have hundreds of pinup girl pics...elvgrens, rolfs, vargas, etc, etc...

AC

Pushtone

If there is one thing there is no shortage of on the web is classic pinup pics.
Although I do have to admit, as big a fan of the classics that I am and I know you are Dragonfly, that these modern graphic pinups are devilishly tempting.

http://www.jessicaspinups.com/
http://www.bawidamann.com/store/paintings.html

Oh right then, about building pedals...

I love to see that pseudo-PCB mount trick. And so well thought out too.

I though of using it myself to make pseudo PCB mounted pots.
Just layout the pads for the pots in the general area below the panel mount pot and use bits of resistor cut-offs to connect the pot lugs to the pads.
I wanted to do this on soggybag's universal layout that includes the PCB mounted jacks and switch.

This is a new twist for me.
By using the larger BB box and locating the pad NEXT to the part instead of below it really makes for a harmoniously clean build.

This is a real clever manufacturing concept that is within the realm of any DIY'er.
Anybody designing layouts could design for this off-board technique.

The best part is we can do this without buying any new parts, tools, or consumables.
Cheap effective use of what I have already. 

Thanks for posting this Dragonfly!! :icon_biggrin:

My build technique will evolve.
It's time to buy a gun. That's what I've been thinking.
Maybe I can afford one, if I do a little less drinking. - Fred Eaglesmith

Dan N

Barber sure did a nice job. The old style on the fiber eyelet board was way cool too!

http://users.rio.com/senorris/junk/gsterall.jpg

Dragonfly

Quote from: Pushtone on December 31, 2006, 01:09:30 AM

If there is one thing there is no shortage of on the web is classic pinup pics.
Although I do have to admit, as big a fan of the classics that I am and I know you are Dragonfly, that these modern graphic pinups are devilishly tempting.

http://www.jessicaspinups.com/
http://www.bawidamann.com/store/paintings.html

I've got a bunch of theirs as well !

Oh right then, about building pedals...

I love to see that pseudo-PCB mount trick. And so well thought out too.

I though of using it myself to make pseudo PCB mounted pots.
Just layout the pads for the pots in the general area below the panel mount pot and use bits of resistor cut-offs to connect the pot lugs to the pads.
I wanted to do this on soggybag's universal layout that includes the PCB mounted jacks and switch.

This is a new twist for me.
By using the larger BB box and locating the pad NEXT to the part instead of below it really makes for a harmoniously clean build.

This is a real clever manufacturing concept that is within the realm of any DIY'er.
Anybody designing layouts could design for this off-board technique.

The best part is we can do this without buying any new parts, tools, or consumables.
Cheap effective use of what I have already. 

Thanks for posting this Dragonfly!! :icon_biggrin:

My build technique will evolve.

He really does fantastic work !

DDD

Well done!
The shorter the wires the better the construction!
Too old to rock'n'roll, too young to die

Pushtone

Quote from: Dan N on December 31, 2006, 01:46:59 AM
Barber sure did a nice job. The old style on the fiber eyelet board was way cool too!

OMG, that pic has a GREAT (great as in cheap, easy, quick) way to hold the battery in place!

Bent sheet metal held in place by the footswitch. Why didn't I think of that? Oh because I don't use batteries  :icon_redface:

But if I did I would start mounting them this way. Brilliant, thank Dan N!  :icon_smile:
It's time to buy a gun. That's what I've been thinking.
Maybe I can afford one, if I do a little less drinking. - Fred Eaglesmith

Cliff Schecht

Some of this guys marketing belongs in the Voodoo thread:

Quote# Vintage style components - Carbon comp resistors, metalized polyester and silver mica caps, vintage vibe throughout.
# Vintage style brown barrel knobs - These knobs have a sure grip while dialing in sweet tones.
# Vintage blonde textured powder coat - Very durable and VERY easy on the eyes.
# Varying asymmetric drive - Higher drive settings and harder playing gives you more asymmetric clipping, back off and the overdrive gets more symmetrical and clearer...like a cool old tube amp!

darron

Quote from: Pushtone on January 03, 2007, 02:10:46 AM
Quote from: Dan N on December 31, 2006, 01:46:59 AM

OMG, that pic has a GREAT (great as in cheap, easy, quick) way to hold the battery in place!

Bent sheet metal held in place by the footswitch. Why didn't I think of that? Oh because I don't use batteries  :icon_redface:

But if I did I would start mounting them this way. Brilliant, thank Dan N!  :icon_smile:

that's is pretty nifty! i'd be more interested on extending it to support the sides (top and bottom really) of the battery since you can wedge it between the switch and the enclosure but you can't always stop it from sliding around.
Blood, Sweat & Flux. Pedals made with lasers and real wires!

JHS

When the gap between the sheet metal and the box is setup right the sheet metal clamps the battery and prevent any sliding.
Somewhere on the web I've seen U-formed 9V-battery clamps made of Si-steel (spring steel) that can be and mounted by a screw.
The new Menatone pedals have a slide in battery box, I think this is also a good solution to prevent any battery sliding.

JHS

skiraly017

Quote from: JHS on January 03, 2007, 11:56:41 AM
Somewhere on the web I've seen U-formed 9V-battery clamps made of Si-steel (spring steel) that can be and mounted by a screw.

JHS

I've been using these from Radio Shack and they work great. A little epoxy on the bottom holds it in place just fine.
"Why do things that happen to stupid people keep happening to me?" - Homer Simpson

JHS

The idea with the epoxy is great. :icon_biggrin:

Does somebody know what type of caps are the grenies in Dan's G-pic? (manufaturer, type, value)
The yellow is a Mallory 150.

JHS

Paul Marossy

I have a couple of friends who got a Barber Burn Unit. They really liked the pedal. I don't have any personal experience with them, though.

Dan N

Quote from: JHS on January 03, 2007, 01:26:48 PM

Does somebody know what type of caps are the grenies in Dan's G-pic? (manufaturer, type, value)
The yellow is a Mallory 150.

I don't know the brand. Clark was using tube amp parts, so my guess would be 400 to 600 volt film caps. The value was 0.1uf.

amz-fx

Are those carbon composition resistors in the pix?

-Jack