Tonepad CE-2 Chorus op amp selection question.

Started by boogietube, January 02, 2007, 09:27:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boogietube

So I can't find a TL022 op amp for this project, but I have a tube of NE5532'S that I picked up for a song. The data sheets have the same pinout for both op amps. Can I use them? Will they sound worse? Better? The same?
Pedals Built- Morley ABC Box, Fultone A/B Box, DIY Stompboxes True Bypass box, GGG Drop in Wah, AMZ Mosfet Boost, ROG Flipster, ROG Tonemender, Tonepad Big Muff Pi.
On the bench:  Rebote 2.5,  Dr Boogie, TS808

jonathan perez

i also have a bunch of 5532s...so id like to know an answer to the same question.  ;D

ive got a pair of tl022s, but i want to know too.

in know for sure you can use tl072/82.
no longer the battle of midway...(i left that band)...

i hate signatures with gear lists/crap for sale....

i am a wah pervert...ask away...

Cliff Schecht

They'll work fine and will have a better signal-to-noise ratio than the TL072 and the 022, plus they have a better slew rate (about 8v/uS vs 13V/uS).

lowstar

somebody correct me if i´m wrong (it´s been some time since i completed my ce-2), but from what i remember, there is no tl022 in the signal path, but only in the lfo section...so the better slew rate and what not should not matter...it is a bit easier on the batteries if i remember correctly...and very expensive nowadays  :icon_mrgreen:

cheers,
lowstar
effects built counter: stopped counting at 100

Cliff Schecht

Same here, I don't quite recall the schematic, but you may be right here. I think I used a TL022, I had one laying around.

stephanovitch

If you use battery for your chorurus, the TL062 comsuption is more interessant than NE5532 : 200µA for the tl062 and 8mA (minimum) for the NE5532

MartyMart

I think you're right lowstar , TLO62 best choice ( battery wise) and TLO72 is fine too.
I have a couple of 022's from my GE7, so may try one !
In the GE7 they were in the signal path and a bit noisey

MM
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

wui223

Does the op-amp colour the sound? Year ago i built a Small Clone, when tested by a luthier friend, he said it COLOUR the original guitar tone too much. Any remedy?

Mark Hammer

Op-amp choice will be different for the LFO and audio paths.  A common low-noise dual op-amp is fine for the audio path.  A TL072 will do nicely and so will an NE5532 (at a cost of a bit more current draw and shorter battery life).

To keep clicking to a minimum, you'll want a lower current dual op-amp for the LFO section.  I suggest an LM358 since we know that a) the Small Clone uses them with success, and b) you can pick them up at Future Electronics in town, whereas TL022 will have to be ordered in.  I think I used an LM358 on my own CE-2/Corrral and it is clean as a whistle.  I think you may have even tried it out at my place, right?

boogietube

As usual, the definitive answer from Mark Hammer. Thanks, Man.
I actually have some TL072'S . A LM358, mmm . It's the Rat one I believe. Think that I've got one of those too.
Yes,Mark, I auditioned the CE-2 chorus at your place which led to the decision to build it. We compared it and the Small Clone, I believe. The CE-2 won flat out. Much deeper and more lush chorus in my opinion. At least through your vintage Fender amps ! Tone Tone! Have you ever built a commonsound project?
Just wondering if new auditions are in the future!! Any luck on the tube amp studies? I'm thinking of building one.
Sean
Pedals Built- Morley ABC Box, Fultone A/B Box, DIY Stompboxes True Bypass box, GGG Drop in Wah, AMZ Mosfet Boost, ROG Flipster, ROG Tonemender, Tonepad Big Muff Pi.

boogietube

LM308 - rat
LM358-Don't have. :'(

I'll try a TL072 as suggested.