Tonebender or Supreaux for Page tones???

Started by powerplayj, January 03, 2007, 09:54:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

powerplayj

Which one will cop Led Zeppelin tones the best? 
builds completed: boutique fuzz, rangemaster, BSIAB2, PT-80, Tonepad wah, Ross Comp, Axis Fuzz, MOSFET boost, Thunderchief, Big Muff (triangle), Mr. EQ, Dr. Boogey,  Neovibe, Dist+, EA Tremelo, ADA Flanger, RM Octavia
next build(s): ???

Eric H

Quote from: powerplayj on January 03, 2007, 09:54:33 PM
Page seldom used the same tone twice --care to give an example?

-Eric
" I've had it with cheap cables..."
--DougH

tcobretti

I WILL say that I believe the TB is used very sparsely on the albums, while the Supro turns up fairly often.

petemoore

Tonebender was reportedly used on recordings. "Best results...nope/ the TB is too inconsistant for a 'best' contest without temperature and other forecasts, might sound superb or horrid or not at all.
  The DIST+ can be wired up and fired up to fairly closely replicate the 'what gozinda comesoutas' of the unit recorded through amps into LZ studio hardware, [I *think we're looking at the same schematic as the DIST+ recorded units builder looked at..lol] ...whether a circuit that responds the same and 'cops the tone' by getting the same input and going into a 'worthy' amp and speaker section is yet another matter, an in depth discussion outside the realm, but inextricably related to: 'stompbox'.
  'Supreaux' and 'Supro' are two entirely different beasts.
  The DIST+ consistantly distorts, TB's are known for having issues, 'the tweekers 3am cup of coffee'.. 
  "Best' is viewed on the forum as kind of a naughty catch word in some contexts, particuarly when in a title which implies comparison or circuit 'Vs' circuit. Many of the circuits designers frequent the forum, so a respondse with any real content about the circuit is then difficult without carrying an implication that someones circuit is 'bettered' by someone elses...they all do different things for different people plugging them into different guitars and amps...
  Anyway I got harder clipping from TB's and DIST+'s, and "Amp-like" tone, milder distortion from the Supreaux...
  AAIADOSWNND,MSSWDKAY
  ..As always, it all depends on stuff were not necessarily discussing...maybe some stuff we don't know about yet. 
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

8mileshigh

My favorite Page tones are from Led Zep 1 so I'm presently gathering parts to build the Supreaux.  Don't forget that Page used a Telecaster for this album so this tone is worlds away from a Les Paul and a Tone Bender.  Have you listened to the soundclips at ROG, they are most certainly "my cup of tea" but I don't know if you like tea or coffee  :) 

Chris
Builts completed: Tweak-O, Fuzz Face Si and Ge, Rangemaster,Fuzzrite Si & Ge, Bazz Fuzz, L'il Devil Fuzz, Bosstone one knober, Bosstone Sustainer, Cream Pie, Kay Fuzztone. http://www.myspace.com/chrisdarlington

powerplayj

hmmmmm.... which tones, albums, etc?  I'm all over the board on this one as I obviously like the common hits like Black Dog, Heartbreaker, Communication Breakdown, etc. but I also dig the unique sounds such as in The Rover, The Crunge, etc.  I always here the Tonebender is a must for Page fans but I am not quite sure which songs it can be heard in???  From the comments I have heard so far, the Supreaux seems to be the most versatile.  As far as my comment goes regarding the best, maybe I should rephrase and say "the most versatile". 

I have a Dist+ with a rotary switch to go between Si, Ge and LED's in the clipping section so I'll give this a whirl as well. 

builds completed: boutique fuzz, rangemaster, BSIAB2, PT-80, Tonepad wah, Ross Comp, Axis Fuzz, MOSFET boost, Thunderchief, Big Muff (triangle), Mr. EQ, Dr. Boogey,  Neovibe, Dist+, EA Tremelo, ADA Flanger, RM Octavia
next build(s): ???

Steben

LED ZEP I (communication breakdown, you shook me,...)
Definitely TB mkII + telecaster.

LED ZEP II (whole lotta love, heartbreaker, moby dick, bring it on home...)
Used to be my holy grail for a long time.
A Dist+ with Ge diodes will get you real close IF you use a treble booster, or if you use  smaller cap at the input.

LED ZEP III
More Marshall time. BSIABII can be useful.

Remember that EQ tweaking especially in front of a distortion (treble boost as simple example), is used more often in studio recordings, than searching the right stompox.
Blackmore reportedly used a simple cassettedeck in front of a marshall... see my point? ;-)
  • SUPPORTER
Rules apply only for those who are not allowed to break them