a Boss NS-2 noise gate routing mod, and an NS-2 ?

Started by Processaurus, January 04, 2007, 06:59:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Processaurus

Schematic:

Easy Mod:  To be able to switch between the input and the noise gated effects in the send/return loop, so you don't have to turn off your noisy effects and your noise gate at the same time.  Just hit the NS-2's switch.  To mod it, disconnect C8 from Q4 (the buffer on the return jack) and run a wire from the free end to the Q1/ C12 junction (the Buffer from the input jack).  This particular implementation does remove the function of being able to turn the gate on and off with the footswitch, but as a guitar player I was never like,"check it out, now its totally hissy!" and kick the switch, and the crowd is in ecstacy...  Now its a combo bypass loop + gate.

now, the

Hard Question:  The NS-2 seems to trigger pretty well, I was wondering if what's there could be modified easily for a slow attack (slow gear, volume swell type effect)?  There's a decay control, which helps locate the area of the circuit (with the opamps 2a, 3a, 3b, 4a, 4b) to modify, but I don't understand just by looking at that part of the circuit what is going on with the generation of the control signal that is being fed to the VCA chip, and how to tweak it.  Any ideas?

For other mods:  Looks like the VCA chip is a dual, and one of the sections isn't being used at all...  Maybe it could be turned into triggered panner or something.

Processaurus

The mitsubishi M5207L01 VCA is an interesting chip on its own, dual independant VCAs and and it makes its own V1/2 reference voltage at its GND pin, that could be used to reduce parts in single supply circuits.  With this one gain is linearly controlled by  0-1v.  Theres a version of the chip controlled by 0-5v too.

datasheet:

Cliff Schecht

That's a cool chip, basically an OTA in voltage controlled amp moda at all times. Couldn't that also be used to make a tremolo by varying the gain with an LFO?

Processaurus

This mod works.  I tried it today and its great.  Also it took all of 5 minutes start to finish to do,  just unsolder the negative side of C8 and use a 3/4" piece of wire to connect the free end to J4 and thats that, mattress man.

But does anyone know about the attack thing?

rogeryu_ph

Hey guys, nice topic. I also recently bought a NS2 noise gate. I have question on supply powering for up to 7 pedals as one of its feature. I tried using it with one straight connection to one pedal only so far its ok. Currently I don't have daisy chain supply cable to do up to several pedal at the same time, does anyone tried this? I'm not an expert on reading schematic, does the NS2  have a provision  for supplying power and what component on schematic?   Thanks

Brett Sinclair

Quote from: rogeryu_ph on January 10, 2007, 03:47:09 AM
I'm not an expert on reading schematic, does the NS2  have a provision  for supplying power and what component on schematic?

It's doesn't do anything magical... the power 'output power' is just a split from the 'input power'. You get the same result powering your pedals from another daisy chain with or without the NS2

rogeryu_ph

So it's not a feature as they say? Why in the world they are convincing consumer that it can supply power up to 7 pedals which they indicate in their manual? I still don't have the daisy chain cable but I bought this so I could use as my power supply to my rest of pedals.  >:( Now I still need to buy Gator POwer Supply.