Step drills at Harbor Freight for $10

Started by R.G., January 07, 2007, 12:55:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zarathustra

Ace

I just came back from my local Harbor Freight, and they had them for 29.99 . When I told the cashier that their website had them listed for 9.99, she told me that I'd have to print out the page, and then bring it to the store. (I don't have a printer, so I'm out of luck.)
    When I asked if she had a way to go to their website, she just looked annoyed, and told me NO.
So, you may want to print the page out before you go, just to be on the safe side.

Ben N

This time I made it :).  Even with 6.99 shipping, it is still a good deal.
Ben
  • SUPPORTER

pi22seven

I didn't even know we had one in town, as it turns out about 2 miles from my work!

Printed out the web ad and the cashier honored it.

Thanks for the heads-up zarathustra!

analogmike

We have had no luck with any of the cheap step drills, only use the expensive IRWIN unibit now, they last more than long enough to be worth it. We do drill hundreds of boxes a month though...
DIY has unpleasant realities, such as that an operating soldering iron has two ends differing markedly in the degree of comfort with which they can be grasped. - J. Smith

mike  ~^v^~ aNaLoG.MaN ~^v^~   vintage guitar effects

http://www.analogman.com

JHS

They are good for drilling a few boxes but IMHO way overpriced. I've seen them for app. 2$ on the flee markets around my home.

If you want to drill more boxes without trouble you need to invest in quite expensive titanium coated drills and tools made of HSS-steel.
At least the step drill is it worth, it can be resharpened and recoated 2-3 times when it's got blunt at a tool service for a relative small price.

JHS 

zjokka

Quote from: analogmike on February 23, 2007, 10:50:50 AM
We have had no luck with any of the cheap step drills, only use the expensive IRWIN unibit now, they last more than long enough to be worth it. We do drill hundreds of boxes a month though...

Well I started panicking until I saw you message, I paid mine 34 EUR in a specialty shop. One bit.

Checked prices for IRWIN and found not 3 for $10 but still 3 for $30 at amazon even

http://www.amazon.com/IRWIN-15502-Piece-Titanium-UNIBIT/dp/B00004SZ5K