How to do layouts

Started by Unclerny, January 09, 2007, 08:31:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unclerny

I know this has to be covered here somewhere so where can I get info on the thought process for doing layouts?

Does anyone here do them for $$$?

UE
Uncle Ernie's Effects
One Man's Distortion is Another Man's Reality

markm

I'm always looking for new layouts to do.....what circuit are you looking for?
I do layouts instead of crossword puzzles!  :icon_lol:

Unclerny

I have my own designs I'm just not real great with layouts.
Uncle Ernie's Effects

markm

Have they been breadboarded and confirmed to work?
I assume you have schems correct?

MikeH

I've started doing my own layouts for my last 3 or 4 builds, and the thing that helped me out was just looking at tons and tons of good layouts.  It helped me get an idea of how a good layout is well... uh, laid out.  Sorry, that was no help.
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

phil

Try this link:

http://ourworld.cs.com/gknott5413/elect441.htm

I wanted to try doing a layout too, but had no idea how to start until I saw this link in the FAQ's ... it's still not crystal clear, but it's coming along now (it's a Thor on Strip board) and about 75% done - but the proof will be when I build it and get it working.

Hope you find the link helpful ...

Phil

BILLYL

UE-

Like Markm- I find doing them very relaxing and better then doing crossword puzzles.  I realy like the challenge.  If you have some you would like done let me know.  I always enjoy the challenge..................

Bill

mojokicks37

I just want to say thank you for posting that website!

Extremely helpful and just what I needed!
So many schematics that I've been scared to look at because they look so daunting, but now, I feel like superman.

Haha.
Hope everyone's well

Thanks so much
"I'm always thinking about creating. My future starts when I wake up every morning . . . Every day I find something creative to do with my life."

"For me, music and life are all about style."

moosapotamus

I think one of the keys to getting into doing your own layouts is finding a decent software application that you can get your head around. Trying to do layouts with pencil and paper is just going to have you blowing through erasers faster than (...insert disturbing back-woods analogy...).

There's lost of free layout software available out there. Bancika's DIY Layout Creator is very cool. There's a free version of Eagle. And, my app of choice at the moment is ExpressPCB. Try some out and pick your flavor.

When you're checking out different software apps, start with something simple, like an LBP-1 or a Bazz Fuss. Spread the components out with lots of space around them and get them connected exactly like they are connected together in the schematic. Then start moving them around to make the layout more compact.

Doing good PCB layouts is an art and a craft. It takes practice to get good at it. If you want to get good at it you just have to start doing it and, in time, you'll start to develop some chops.

I think designing PCB layouts is a lot like doing jig saw puzzles.

~ Charlie
moosapotamus.net
"I tend to like anything that I think sounds good."

moosapotamus

moosapotamus.net

Unclerny

Cool, I seem to have sparked a bit of discussion.

Sorry I didn't get back sooner, father.  Enough said.

I do use ExpressPCB and I do like it.  It's just nice to have different takes on the same problem because different solutions will emerge.

The circuit today is one I've been working on with Mr. Orman, thanks again.  It had some bugs.  Now I'm trying different things to improve the layout now that we've added five new components to the board, I think.  Maybe four and a changed value.  The circuit works really better than I'd hoped.

As discussion goes, I find that I can layout on screen all I want but I still have to make it work with the components.  Mica caps take up considerable space outside the .2 inch lead spacing and that's always something to keep in mind.

I'm saving that link so I can go over it when I get the chance.  First glance looks very good.

If someone wants to take a crack at this I'd expect that person not to steal and/or post/share the design.  You understand confidentiality?  I'm cool with people building my design just when not giving credit where credit is due, problem.  Check my website and you'll see my acknowledgment of RunOffGroove and Tonepad.  I think there are a couple others.

Any takers?

UE
Uncle Ernie's Effects

ulysses

how many parts?
how much are you willing to pay?
pcb or vero?
single sided pcb?
do you need thick traces or are you sending the pcb design away to be professionally made up?
do you need it in a particular format to be sent to a pcb company?

cheers
ulysses

moosapotamus

moosapotamus.net

TheBigMan

I do mine with pencil and paper then transfer that into a PNG image using MS Paint when it's done.  Seems to work so far.

Generally in circuits with an opamp I'll work my way out from that, otherwise it's fairly linear.

ulysses

i agree with the big man on working my way out of opamps, usually via the biggest nets.  then i try to piece main chunks together in my head.

usually by the layout stage you have a good idea of how the parts fit together (if you designed the circuit)

i then convert the schem into a netlist and import to traxxmaker.

cheers
ulysses