Barberpole Phasing demo

Started by StephenGiles, January 10, 2007, 04:34:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StephenGiles

Download Nord Modular from here:
http://www.clavia.se/products/nordmodular/demo.htm

and this demo:
http://www.electro-music.com/forum/download.php?id=6790
save it in the Demo Patches folder and double click it. You can see how a Barberpole Phaser is put together.

Have fun!
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

Processaurus

Is barber pole phasing where notch's in the frequency only go in one direction? 

Fun experiment: make 2 phasers driven by one LFO, 180 degrees out of phase on one of them, and then tuning it so it seems like one set of notches were always going up and one set was always going down.  Like the Dimension C of phasers.

Zero the hero

Quote from: Processaurus on January 10, 2007, 05:54:35 PM
Is barber pole phasing where notch's in the frequency only go in one direction? 

If so, many DIY phasers may be transformed to Barber Pole phasers by changing the lfo from sine wave to sawtooth?

StephenGiles

I think there is just a little more to it than that if you look at the set up in the Nordmodular demo above!!
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

StephenGiles

The great thing about this software is that you can build your own sequence of sound generator/filter/etc and hear how it sounds, although it is just a synth setup. Maybe there is something similar with sampled guitar sounds. The Barberpole Phaser demo shows what is required so, I am told by a synth man, it is easy to work out an overall circuit for such a thing. The circuits for the parts are on the internet - it's just the overall scheme of things which isn't!!!

Zero the hero

You're right stephen, that software seems so powerful despite its rudeness in the interface.
I'll play around it for a while!

sfr

Cool.  Search here for "Shepard Tone" - (it's the name for that constantly rising sound type of thing)  I asked about this a while back, and Mark Hammer posted a link to his website with some info on it from an old issue of Polyphony.  Reminds me I have to read the rest of the damn thing, but the article was pretty interesting, and it had some info on implementing this.
sent from my orbital space station.