News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

DMM

Started by Papa_lazerous, January 12, 2007, 03:05:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papa_lazerous

My multimeter sucks I am pretty sure that it gives off readings due to its own impedience or something

Either way it was cheap and reminds me of this every time I try and use it for something accurate.

I want a new one I'd like to get something branded that I can trust and know is acurate also Capacitor checking would be ideal Tranny check is not neeeded as I have a seperate gadget for that that tells gain and leakage,

suggestions on brands to try or models. Suggestions of something for a few £££/$$$$ down at the bargain shop arent really what I am after

The Tone God

Check the DIY FAQ.

Andrew

petemoore

..and the battery
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Cliff Schecht

I use a Fluke 89 IV, but I'm guessing you don't have $400+ to shell out on a meter  :-X. I love the thing, it does voltage, current, temperature, capacitors, forward voltage drop of diodes, a decibel meter, continuity, frequency and all sorts of other fun little functions. There are a lot of features I don't use on the thing simply because I don't have the attachments, but hey, it was free so I ain't bitching.

Sounds like you are looking for a Fluke though, they make great meters and even the old one I used (early 90's) never gave any sort of misreadings. They are built very well and will last a long time, even if you give it a little abuse. My dad used to take me into the labs of wherever he worked (Dell and AMD, to name two) and I would get to play around with the expensive equipment all day, every lab had Fluke meters and Tektronix scopes. So there's my recommendation, go look around and see what they have to offer, but be prepared to pay a pretty penny.

Papa_lazerous

Quote from: petemoore on January 12, 2007, 05:39:44 PM
..and the battery

First thing I did was change battery