Paul Perry (Frostwave)

From a post bt Michael Bacich on the DIY-Synth list:
" Just last night, I pulled a few 
Mitsubishi wide-screen TV circuit boards from a dumpster, and the 
audio board had a perfectly good MN3008 (2,048 sage) BBD chip on it, 
along with the MN3101 clock driver chip.  Apparently, these chips 
have something to do with the TV's surround sound function. Cha-ching!"

Mark Hammer

Yep.  I have a technics A/V amp with surround, and it too has a 3008/3101 combo for adding up to something like 90msec delay to the rear channel.

Processaurus

I can see the TV bin at the local dump crawling with DIYers craving time delay effects...

JonFrum

In my town, you have to pay $10 to get rid of a television or monitor. It must be the same throughout the state, because Craiglist is filled with free television/monitor offers.

Bore-inger

just copy

The Tone God

The funny thing is that BBDs were mainly used in televisions. FXers were using them but the amount that they used was barely notifiable in comparison. When they figured how do replace the BBDs with digital there was no point in producing BBDs thus they were discontinued and we got left out.

Andrew

Meanderthal

Woah! I have a Mitsubishi 32" in need of a vertical oscillator fix in my basement.... 
I am not responsible for your imagination.

Meanderthal

Aw crap! I got all excited, charged down to the basement like a raging bull elephant, tore open the tv, started poking around... DOH! I then remembered no surround or anything like that on this one! Lots of stompbox worthy panasonic film caps though, but sadly, no bbd... still, those nice burgundy caps were a pleasant surprise.
I am not responsible for your imagination.

markm

So, this is only surround sound TV's?  ???

jonathan perez

no longer the battle of midway...(i left that band)...

i hate signatures with gear lists/crap for sale....

i am a wah pervert...ask away...

Tim Escobedo

I've seen BBDs in several low end karaoke machines. They seem to hit the dumpsters with great regularity.

Mark Hammer

Quote from: markm on January 11, 2007, 12:00:41 AM
So, this is only surround sound TV's?  ???
No.  This is only surround-sound systems (whether built into a box with a tuner and sreen or as part of a wholly separate amp) that have the option to add delay to rear channels.  It is entirely possible to have "surround sound" without any delay being involved.  The delay is not a necessary feature of surround, merely something that can be used to enhance surround by making the rear channel seem farther away.  After all, not all of us watch TV in rooms bigger than 10' x 12', and those who sit watching a huge screen in a 20' x 15' room probably don't need to add time delay to the rear channel to make those speakers seem farther away. 

The Technics amp I referred to has an explicit "delay" control with panel labelling indicating how much delay one is adding to the rear channel.  Any circuit containing a BBD for surround-enhancement may not necessarily have such explicit indications (and it was the panel markings that led me to look inside, where I found exactly what I thought might be there), but it should at least have a button or setting that says "delay" or "ambience" or "room/hall" setting or something that alludes to time delay as an option.

Dirk_Hendrik

Years and years ago I pulled a PCB from a toploader VHS VCR which contained a chip labelled MN3010. This is far pre-BBD-Dimentia and before general internet access so I kept the print because the chip rang a bell as "special" but not having any datasheetstuff.  The chip itself is nowadays used in a ADA flanger clone so, yes, I'm happy I kept that PCB..

But,
I would kill to find out the brand and type of that VCR and would be running classifieds to find more of those.

And,
Don't ask what the function of that chip was. The only thing I can think of is to be able to track the sound with the picture. Surround was not invented at that time.
More stuff, less fear, less  hassle and less censoring? How 'bout it??. To discuss what YOU want to discuss instead of what others decide for you. It's possible...

But not at diystompboxes.com...... regrettably

Mark Hammer

Check the datasheets for the SAD1024 and you'll find that some of the info contained refers to video-processing.  Indeed, the very reason why BBDs with as few as 128 stages exist is precisely FOR achieving extremely short delays for syncing video signals.