Swapping Input Resistors (easy question, methinks)

Started by ChrisPtacek, January 11, 2007, 10:27:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrisPtacek

So I blew the input resistor on a Diamond Compressor (center pos instead of center neg *whoops!* poof!)

Michael tells me that they use 1% metal film resistors, 1/2 amp, 100 ohm.  I happen to have a handful of 1/2 amp, 100 ohm resistors from other projects, just sitting around.  I don't think they're metal film (the tan 5% radio shack ones are probably carbon comp, and the others are 2%, light blue, but otherwise, very similar... purchased at Frys sometime ago)

Electronically, I imagine there's no downside to using the one over the other here.  Am I right?
Sonically, will there be a difference?  Is there a reason I should be using one over the other in this instance?

I can order the right thing, or MK at Diamond would send me the right thing, but if there's no real functional difference, I'd just as soon fix the pedal tonight or tomorrow, and save everyone the hassle. 

Thoughts?

Thanks!

petemoore

So I blew the input resistor on a Diamond Compressor (center pos instead of center neg *whoops!* poof!)

Michael tells me that they use 1% metal film resistors, 1/2 amp, 100 ohm.  I happen to have a handful of 1/2 amp, 100 ohm resistors from other projects, just sitting around.  I don't think they're metal film (the tan 5% radio shack ones are probably carbon comp, and the others are 2%, light blue, but otherwise, very similar... purchased at Frys sometime ago)

Electronically, I imagine there's no downside to using the one over the other here.  Am I right?
  Either one'll work, 1/2 amp? [I think you mean W = watt] is plenty big for that..
  The position of this resistor at the input of a compressor puts in a good position for introducing thermal noise to signal, and does it's large size.
  Whether there is a discernable difference in the type of material used to attain something close to 1 meg is another read, and probably very small, easily outdone' by other noise sources, hard to find. One resistor being of different material in a circuit like compressor..probably makes a measureable difference, turn the comp on high, note noise, replace with alternate material resistor compare...
  Sonically, will there be a difference?  Is there a reason I should be using one over the other in this instance? Yes, there is a measureable difference, the question is whether you can tell that this difference exists.
  I can order the right thing, or MK at Diamond would send me the right thing, but if there's no real functional difference, I'd just as soon fix the pedal tonight or tomorrow, and save everyone the hassle.
  you want opinion, I'd have had the resistor in there, if noise really bothered me, I'd get a metal job and put that there, but would always wonder if it was worth the trouble.

Thoughts?
  Why/how did this resistor blow. I can't remember the last 1/4w resistor I blew @ <18v, resistors have no polarity.
   The diode...reverse polarity power supply protection diode...I think...maybe that's what blew. They blow when power is reversed, resistors are non-polar.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

ChrisPtacek

Ah, ya know... I did mean 1/2 watt. :icon_redface:  Ugh... maybe I can at least maintain my ability to properly use "their/there" and things of that nature.  My brain isn't working today.  Don't know how I managed to invent a 1/2 amp resistor.  Maybe I can solder some leads to a fuse and pretend that's what I meant.

I'm not worried about doing the work, but I have to admit that I don't know much about the circuit I'm dealing with (I'm pretty much an over-curious novice.)  Just that the source of the problem is pretty obvious when looking at the board, and I'm honest enough to admit that I caused it.  MK is the one who told me I probably blew the input resistor, and I'm going by that. 

How'd I do it?  Gigging in a dark room, I had to do a pedal swap, and I accidentally threw my Memory Lane's plug into the Compressor.  The Mem Lane is 18v on a center pos plug.  The Compressor is your standard 9-18v(maybe even 24v) box, but it's center negative.  There was that immediate "bad fish" smell, and I instantly realized what I'd done.  Not interesting, not happy, not friendly smelling.  But not life (or gig) threatening, either.  :)

Thanks a bunch for the info.  I'll probably order the metal film, just to have the option of comparing, but I will probably swap in another resistor + burn myself a few times tonight, just to see what happens.

petemoore

Ah, ya know... I did mean 1/2 watt.   Ugh... maybe I can at least maintain my ability to properly use "their/there" and things of that nature.  My brain isn't working today.  Don't know how I managed to invent a 1/2 amp resistor.  Maybe I can solder some leads to a fuse and pretend that's what I meant.
  Nothing..ask any of these guys, they'll tell you I've been told before about my whoopsi-wrong-word typo's, so I'm actually relieved in a way to see it.
    I'm not worried about doing the work, but I have to admit that I don't know much about the circuit I'm dealing with (I'm pretty much an over-curious novice.)  Just that the source of the problem is pretty obvious when looking at the board, and I'm honest enough to admit that I caused it.  MK is the one who told me I probably blew the input resistor, and I'm going by that.  
  Alot of this stuff is as easy as recognizing a typo, I'd get familiar with parts ID'ing.
  Still, it's hard to fry an R @9VDC, and protection diodes, fortunately, burn out often enough w/reverse polarity, and this one was exposed to 18/9ths of the voltage the box was to see. first protecting the circuit by blocking reverse polarity from getting to the PS, then by frying while doing same {*Hopefully, sometimes chips 'n stuff fry too.
  How'd I do it?  Gigging in a dark room, I had to do a pedal swap, and I accidentally threw my Memory Lane's plug into the Compressor.  The Mem Lane is 18v on a center pos plug.  The Compressor is your standard 9-18v(maybe even 24v) box, but it's center negative.
  A double dab'll do ya.
  Oh heck yea, I had a wah and a PS, a reversed polarity extension 5 plug cable a long story [that needs to be used], then no wah..er needs board attention.
  There was that immediate "bad fish" smell, and I instantly realized what I'd done.  Not interesting, not happy, not friendly smelling.  But not life (or gig) threatening, either
  You never know when true bypass is going to come in handy.
  I would get good at Identifying if that isn't the reverse protection diode that burned up before attempting repairs.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.