What have I done?

Started by squidsquad, January 18, 2007, 09:01:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

squidsquad

First lemme admit...I dunno what I'm I'm doin...but I do it anyway.
Tinkering w/Jack's reverse booster...I piggybacked a tranny...NOT reversed.
Trannys chosen because they were at hand.
Removed a couple of resistors....because it sounded better w/out them
Perhaps I've simply re-invented the wheel...minus some spokes?
Or have created a SIMPLE unique boost.
All I know...it works...sounds nice.
Only 2 caps (big because I tried to increase bass...dunno why it's cut)...
& 2 resistors....& 2 trannys.
A touch of distortion when pushed by my mosfet boost.
Slight hollow sound...almost like out of phase pickups...or one that is far from the strings.
But I like it.
Could someone look it over for glaring errors?
(Like maybe I'm draining the battery too quickly or something.)
Perhaps an explanation.

If by chance I've invented something (HA!)...call it The Squidster.

brett

Hi
From memory:
This appears slightly similar to what was called a "push-pull" circuit that appeared as an ASCII-type schhematics at least 5 years ago.
IIRC that circuit used a collector-feedback resistor, so that the transistors worked in opposition.
I modified it at one stage and called it  the "tubey" and Alf Hermida did some SPICE simulations.   That was a couple of years back.
Some discussion of  that circuit re-surfaced a few months ago, soo a search might reveal the details.

In this circuit, there's no feedback resistor, which might be why your results are very subtle.   I wonder what would happen if you keep that 390k bias resistor, but also have a feedback resistor (100 to 500k ??).  That might lift the diistortion to interesting levels.
cheers

PS my memory is pretty bad, and I'm not quite getting my head around how this works, so it might be 100% BS.
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)