Shoot, just bought closed circuit instead of plain mono

Started by ExpAnonColin, September 14, 2003, 11:21:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ExpAnonColin

Anything I can do to benifit from the extra 2 dollars or so I spent at the local Ratshack?  Or should I just put them aside for when they'd have a good use?

-Colin

The Tone God

Stereo or mono switched ? You may still be able to use it even just as an output jack. Just don't wire the switched contact.

Andrew

ExpAnonColin

Well, yes, I could still use it as a normal jack.. but could I do anything special?

The Tone God

Hmm...is it open or closed with the jack insterted. You can still do power switching or just ground the signal to prevent noise on the input.

Andrew

smallbearelec

Colin--

Other people will confirm what I'm telling you: Those RS jacks are very poor quality, and they will literally fall apart when tightened--personal experience. If Switchcraft is too expensive, try the Mouser DGS line.

Steve Daniels

Quote from: smallbearelecColin--

Other people will confirm what I'm telling you: Those RS jacks are very poor quality, and they will literally fall apart when tightened--personal experience. If Switchcraft is too expensive, try the Mouser DGS line.

Steve Daniels

yep,i have used those RS jacks and they were horrible.  tightening them up results in the tabs (for signal and ground) moving around in relation to each other.  so much more worth it to go with the Switchcrafts, which are cheaper than the RS ones too.

Rick

Agreed, I've wasted time once debugging a circuit only to find that after tightening the jacks the lugs had moved (and shorted). If you do use them, do yourself a favor and apply a dab of hot melt glue to the insulators to minimize lug movement.   ...Rick

aron

Quoteyep,i have used those RS jacks and they were horrible. tightening them up results in the tabs (for signal and ground) moving around in relation to each other..

Confirmed. I have had this happen too.

However, at 8:30pm, sometimes that's all you have  :(

mattv

Ditto on the RS jacks, but since you already bought it, your pedal won't burst into flames if you put this one to use...

That sounds like the kind of jack you'd use to insert an expression pedal and override the pot that you'd normally use. When the jack is inserted, the signal goes out to the expression pedal. When the jack is out, the signal is routed as normal.

ExpAnonColin

Well, it was a bit of a last minute thing for a temporary prototype box.  Most RS stuff isn't all too great, I only buy little things from there... i'm about to do a bit online order to restock myself, but you know, you run out.

-Colin