"New" PCB etching method

Started by markm, January 21, 2007, 01:38:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markm

Here's my "new" method for etching PCBs.

I'm sure someone somewhere has done this or mentioned it but as I was looking at my jar of spent FC it occurred to me that most of the sediment was on the bottom of the jar and had seperated quite a bit from the actual chemical. So, in the interest of getting the most "bang-for-my-buck" I concocted this little half-assed method to suspend the PCB in the FC. The best part is that in doing it this way a few times, I have noticed that gravity helps with the etch process and agitaion is really not neccessary at all.
Just thought I'd share this with the board, maybe some of you with PCB etching woes can get some better results with this method.
Cleanup is a breeze too.....rinse the boards and screw the cap on the Jar!!  :icon_lol:

coffyrock

what type of string is holding the boards up? just twine? wire?

How many extra boards do you think you could make with your "used" etchant?

very cool!
Built so far: ROG Ruby, matching pair of LPB2s, Mr. Clean, Easy Drive,
Next up: Bazz Fuss, ROG Grace Overdrive, Smashdrive.

markm

It's fishing line!
It's the only thing I could think of that would be etch resistant and not absorb any FC like string would.
All of the etchant in this jar has been used for etching 3-4 boards at a clip.
I used to etch like this;

For now though, I gonna Hang 'em High!
It work real well!

Here's another view;
Not real fancy but, they're tied to a pencil!  :icon_lol:

coffyrock

Built so far: ROG Ruby, matching pair of LPB2s, Mr. Clean, Easy Drive,
Next up: Bazz Fuss, ROG Grace Overdrive, Smashdrive.

zachomega

That is awesome!  I'll bet if you warmed up the jar a little bit it'd etch even faster...

-Zach Omega

$uperpuma

PERFECT! much easier clean up.... put the top on the jar...:)
Breadboards are as invaluable as underwear - and also need changed... -R.G.

calculating_infinity

Nice!  Now etching doesnt seem AS intimidating to me.  F.C. Witches Brew!

Pushtone

Excellent technique markm!
Right up there with the baggie method.
Thanks for sharing. :icon_biggrin:
No more open FC baths for me.

I bet dental floss would work too if one has no fishing line on hand.
It's time to buy a gun. That's what I've been thinking.
Maybe I can afford one, if I do a little less drinking. - Fred Eaglesmith

markm

Quote from: Pushtone on January 21, 2007, 05:27:31 PM

I bet dental floss would work too if one has no fishing line on hand.

Good idea, I never thought of that but I bet it would work fine as well.  :)

coxter

Smart technique... Maybe smallbear can include a jar instead now into the pcb kit. Oh yeah and a pencil
LoL

Cardboard Tube Samurai

Dammit! I really have to get off my arse and post up pics of my etching tank! It's virtually the same but has a fish-tank filter motor in it to agitate and aerate. I took photos when I etched a board on the weekend and I plan to post up a pictorial sometime soon!

Cardboard Tube Samurai

Ok, so here's my etching tank... it's sitting in a sink of hot water. Also, the etchant is Ammonium Persulphate as opposed to that FC stuff you guys in the States use

coxter

Hi cardboard samurai, how is the ammonium working for you? Is a fast etchant?

Do you think it can etch designs on Aluminium enclosures?

Cardboard Tube Samurai

Quote from: coxter on January 22, 2007, 08:26:22 AM
Hi cardboard samurai, how is the ammonium working for you? Is a fast etchant?

Do you think it can etch designs on Aluminium enclosures?

I have no idea whether it could etch enclosures... That is something I would like to find out though! If there is anyone else here that knows a little about their chemicals, please shed some light. It's not an overly fast etchant and most boards take around 5 or more minutes in the etching tank. The way I used to do it took about 10-15 minutes and included a coffee jar, etchant, and a whole lot of swirling/shaking.

Big Red

I like that Markm, its very similar to what I do: I toss the board in a mason jar and place a bag over the mouth and screw the cap on (the bag keeps the metal cover from being eaten away) and set it in a jug of hot water. Agitating is a snap, just pick up the mason jar and shake it. no mess (so far ;) )
I'm going to switch to a mayo jar I think, the plastic cover is a nice touch

bluesdevil

Thanks for sharing that Mark.... I will try it on my next batch to see how much I can stretch that used etchant I've been storing. This stuff is starting to run into money and I try to  save where I can!!!

CT Samurai:
I'm an aquarium nut (freshwater and saltwater coral reef) and have a few spare small powerhead pumps laying around, so I would like to try your method also, but doesn't the etchant eat away on the magnetic impeller and it's housing? Maybe okay with Ammonium Persulphate but not Ferric Chloride?
"I like the box caps because when I'm done populating the board it looks like a little city....and I'm the Mayor!" - armdnrdy

Cardboard Tube Samurai

Possibly... I'm not game to look! It freezes up between uses, but still seems to work fine with a quick tap on the side of the tank. For $10 at K-Mart to replace it, I really don't care too much if it only lasts a few months

markm

Quote from: Big Red on January 22, 2007, 04:55:25 PM
I'm going to switch to a mayo jar I think, the plastic cover is a nice touch

:)
The plastic cover makes it just that much easier.
Besides....Pete Moore will appreciate all the etchant being reused!  :icon_razz:

jpm83

Where are the pics of the "new" PCB etching method from MarkM's posts?

Janne

Alex C

There is a url in his post:
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b72/mmarkmm/FXetch001.jpg

but this is a dead link, so it doesn't show up in the post.  This does lead to his Photobucket gallery though: http://s17.photobucket.com/albums/b72/mmarkmm/