Enclosure drilling with a Dremel?

Started by Moosehead, January 21, 2007, 03:23:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moosehead

Here's my situation:

First, I live in an apartment where work and storage space is limited, thus I can't have any big tools around. I pretty much have to work outside on my tiny balcony when the weather's good.

Second, my girlfriend bought me a variable speed Dremel for X-mas. I was thinking of buying the drill-press attachment for it in order to drill some aluminum boxes for my effects. I'd obviously be purchasing a Unibit or other similar bit as well, along with a center-punch, etc.

I've read in this forum that a Dremel isn't the best tool to use for drilling enclosures, but considering the space/money/tools I have, I don't have many options. Will this idea work?

Thanks in advance!!

8mileshigh

I have a Dremel as well but would never consider using it to drill holes in enclosures.  It could be very well possible but a better option would be to go to Canadian Tire and pick up one of those dirt cheap Job Mate electric drills and do them by hand.  That what I do anyway.  The Dremel, to my mind, is a hopbby utility tool, not for drilling 1/2" holes in metal.
Good luck

Chris
Builts completed: Tweak-O, Fuzz Face Si and Ge, Rangemaster,Fuzzrite Si & Ge, Bazz Fuzz, L'il Devil Fuzz, Bosstone one knober, Bosstone Sustainer, Cream Pie, Kay Fuzztone. http://www.myspace.com/chrisdarlington

thumposaurus

You'd have a hard time fitting a drill bit large enough to drill cases with into the dremel tool.  You can get cheap corded drills at any of the home stores for around $20, if you use a unibit you should be able to drill pretty straight even holes if you take your time.
Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

MKB

A Dremel would be good to drill holes in an effects box as long as the hole isn't much over 1/8" in diameter (max drill size you can get in its chuck).  It is also good for making square holes using a cutoff wheel and some caution.  But I'm not aware of any step drills that can be used with a Dremel tool, and it just might not have the grunt to drill <1/2" holes for pots and jacks.  What you might consider is one of those small desktop drill presses you can buy at most hardware stores, you can lift it with one hand and it works very well with step drills.  Also they are cheap.  I've used one of those for many years and it works great.

The Tone God

The Dremel's speed is much too high and the torque much too low for drilling boxes. For the cost of the drill press attachment and bits you can buy a set decent drill bits or a unibit, a decent basic drill, and some drilling lube. You will be much happier by doing so.

Andrew

YouAre

i was just goign to post a thread on the same thing. Do you think that the dremel is alright for drilling small pilot holes to be used with a unibit later? The dremel would be a little bit more prescise and exact. I can find the center, then use the dremel to drill a thin hole as a guy for the unibit later. will the dremel be strong enough for this application?

and what other applications have you guys used the dremel for in stompbox building?

(sorry to the poster if my questions were OT)

The Tone God

I would recommend buying a simple centre punch either solid or with a spring loaded tip. You will be much happier then trying to make a Dremel work in that application.

Dremels are useful tools. As mentioned cutting square holes is one. Slots for slider pots. Etching metal and boards. Cutting traces on PCBs. Grind out burs. Expanding holes. Making odd shape openings. Cleaning tough areas. And so forth.

Andrew

MKB

Quote from: The Tone God on January 21, 2007, 05:47:15 PM
Dremels are useful tools. As mentioned cutting square holes is one. Slots for slider pots. Etching metal and boards. Cutting traces on PCBs. Grind out burs. Expanding holes. Making odd shape openings. Cleaning tough areas. And so forth.

Andrew
The list of uses for Dremels are endless, I am lost without one around the house.  They make very nice light routers with the optional router base, and are perfect for drilling holes in PCB's.  You can get a drill press base for one that would make it better for PCB hole drilling.

Speaking of bases, you can get a drill press base for hand drills, here's an example: http://www.amazon.com/36-37-DRILL-GUIDE-ADAPTER/dp/B0000E6TM6  That would make accuracy a bit easier with a hand drill.

blanik

Quote from: 8mileshigh on January 21, 2007, 03:40:59 PM
a better option would be to go to Canadian Tire and pick up one of those dirt cheap Job Mate electric drills and do them by hand.  That what I do anyway.  The Dremel, to my mind, is a hopbby utility tool, not for drilling 1/2" holes in metal.

this is exactly what i did...  :icon_biggrin:
i also live in an appartment and i try to work on the balcony weather permitting but the little "job mate" drill (made in China, probably on the convoyer belt right beside the one with the Beringher pedals...  :icon_rolleyes:) cost me 20$ (on sale) with two batteries, plus 9.99$ (on sale again) for a whole drill bits kit... it's quite usable in an appartment and doesn't take place when finished with...  for the number of times the drill jammed on the aluminium when going through an Hammond box if i done this with my dremel, it would be dead now...  :icon_wink:

R

Moosehead

Thanks guys, that was really good advice. I'm glad I came here before I sentenced my brand new Dremel to such torture!

I suppose I can break out the old corded drill and try to drill the holes by hand with a Unibit, until I can afford a drill press. I'll keep the Dremel for smaller tasks.

Thanks again guys!!  :icon_biggrin:

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Plenty of those cheap drills with wrecked batteries around......
but you can just hook up a DC supply for them :D
yeah, cheap as chips!!!!

I must say, dremel is great for repair work.. saw thru the PCB
power lines while you are looking for the short. Divide & conquer.

skiraly017

Quote from: YouAre on January 21, 2007, 05:34:46 PM
Do you think that the dremel is alright for drilling small pilot holes to be used with a unibit later?

I've used my Dremel for this several times. Works great.
"Why do things that happen to stupid people keep happening to me?" - Homer Simpson

Moosehead

Quote from: skiraly017 on January 23, 2007, 02:28:03 PM
Do you think that the dremel is alright for drilling small pilot holes to be used with a unibit later?

You've used the Unibit with the Dremel, you mean? As in, after drilling the pilot holes with it?

YouAre

Quote from: Moosehead on January 23, 2007, 06:34:02 PM
Quote from: skiraly017 on January 23, 2007, 02:28:03 PM

You've used the Unibit with the Dremel, you mean? As in, after drilling the pilot holes with it?

doubtful. The unibit probably can't even fit in the dremel can it?

The Tone God

He was probably referring to doing pilot holes with a Dremel.

Andrew

skiraly017

I should have been clearer with that statement. I've used the Dremel to drill pilot holes with no problem.
"Why do things that happen to stupid people keep happening to me?" - Homer Simpson

Moosehead

Damn...and here I was, getting my hopes up that someone had actually accomplished it. Ah well.  :-\