General FuzzWah question

Started by BDuguay, January 22, 2007, 09:48:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BDuguay

Good folks.

I'm curious as to the inner workings of a FuuzWah pedal. The Morley FuuzWah to be exact.
Is it simply a fuzz cicuit inline with a wah pedal? Any and all information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
B

petemoore

I believe so and also think I've seen the schematic for that one floating around...
  'Fuzz > Wah'
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

jonathan perez

ive always wanted to build one...but...

i think im going to use Paul Marossy's small boomerang layout, and probably something like a one knob fuzz, and just wire em up in a wah shell.
no longer the battle of midway...(i left that band)...

i hate signatures with gear lists/crap for sale....

i am a wah pervert...ask away...

BDuguay

Thanks fellas!
Shameless bump and oppurtunity to correct myself.
It's 'Fuzz', not 'Fuuz'

Sir H C

Every one that I have seen is just a fuzz and a wah, sometimes on two separate boards (Royal Fuzz Wah).

jonathan perez

does anyone know what the FOXX layout is?

is it a tone machine/simple wah design going on? should i buy one and find out for the sake of our little community?

Sir H C

It is a Tone Machine and a wah with variable filter capacitors to give different ranges.  Somewhere out there is the schematic, I found it once as I had to repair mine.

Dan N

Morley has some schematics etc online here:

http://www.morleypedals.com/downloads.html

I can't find a politically correct link to the Foxx, so I uploaded what I have:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y64/earthstandstill/foxfzwah.gif

I thought that was RG's style, but could not find it at geofex.com

jonathan perez

jonathan perez

they use the yellow fasel, now...if it means anything to anyone  ;D

Paul Marossy

QuoteIs it simply a fuzz cicuit inline with a wah pedal?

I know it's not what you were asking about, but most fuzz wah are just that - a fuzz circuit that has a wah in series with it. All controlled via the footswitch.

BDuguay

Quote from: Paul Marossy on January 24, 2007, 10:53:59 PM

I know it's not what you were asking about, but most fuzz wah are just that - a fuzz circuit that has a wah in series with it. All controlled via the footswitch.

Actually Paul, I needed to know that for sure too so thanks to you and all who have replied so far. It's a good feeling when smeone replies you know?
Over at the Gearpage, I was contimplating changing my name to 'Thread Killer' :icon_smile:
B.

Paul Marossy

Mark Hammer

Quote from: Paul Marossy on January 24, 2007, 10:53:59 PM

Personally, I have never seen any of these combo pedals arranged wah->fuzz.  They are, in my experience at least, always configued fuzz -> wah.  The reason would seem to be because it produces a more intense wah sound by providing more harmonic content to filter out.

Of course, regardless of what charm that may have. a great many are partial to the wah -> fuzz configuration because it provides a kind of less-filtered sound.  Or rather, one can sweep the wah and use it to emphasize tones, without the note itself disappearing altogether like it can with fuzz -> wah. 

I have personally never seen a combo pedal in which the order of the two effects could be reversed.  If one does exist, I'd be curious to know about it.

BDuguay

The reason for all of this is because I've been challenged to recreate the old ginormous Morley Fuzz Wah into a much smaller, more manageable, less real estate hungry, standard issue wah shell. It turns out the owner of this pedal (Stephen Fearing of Blackie and the Rodeo Kings) used it  for a recording that has now become a signature sound often requested.
It also turns out I will do practically anything to secure an opening spot for his band :icon_wink:
B.

Paul Marossy

Yeah, Mark, you're right. I was just being very general in my statement about one being in series with the other.  :icon_cool: