About to etch first enclosure

Started by Papa_lazerous, January 22, 2007, 07:28:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papa_lazerous

Ok So I've done my homework and seen the picture run through in the gallery and the great results achievable by etching your enclosures,  I just want to clarify a few points before I attempt it

I got the box flat as possible almost like a mirror

Done design and reversed it ready for printing

I know about the press n peel and I think there will be a learning curve there

with the solution I have seen it written that some people prefer not to dilute it.  I was thinking for my first go would it be wise to dilte to say 50% so to slow down the process to give me more time to react to any mistakes and see whats going on rather than rely on just knowing it will be ok. 

There are a few bits that are a little detailed I was wondering are there issues with the etching eating its way under the pnp or sharpie or whatever you use from the sides? 

Papa_lazerous

markm

My suggestion would be to read through the photo-essay again and not to dilute the FC but, if it makes you feel more comfortable then,
by all means dilute it however, 50% is alot and will take much more time not just half as long, maybe 25% water would be better but, I don't suggest doing that either.
Instead of diluting the mix, pull out the enclosure and rinse it off. A thourough rinse will stop the etching process + it'll give you a good look at the progress as well as keeping the enclosure cool.....heat is BAD. When it begins to get warm, rinse it!
The actual time in the etchant is only about 3 minutes or so, it doesn't take long.
You don't want the etch to be very deep. A deeper etch loses detail and sharpness of the design.
Paint on the sides works best for me.
I would not reccommend a sharpie for anything but very fine touch-up and even then personally, I would not use one.
Use the sharpie to sign the bottom of the enclosure when your done!  :icon_lol:
May the force be with you.....

Papa_lazerous

Thanks for the advice,  I have been through the photo essay and looked througout the gallery and seen some of the things possible.  It looks to me that I can go down to about 1mm or so on the thickness of an etched area and it look good, I will no doubt come un-stuck being a newbie to this method.  I have heard of using photopaper and ironing on then soaking off is this something worth trying or is press n peel the best bet?

bluesdevil

Markm's photo essay  really helped me with success on etching boxes. I'm just shocked by how much sandpaper I go through in the process.
      Full strength on the ferric chloride and use the "rinse in water every 25 seconds and check progress" method works for me. It ends up taking a bit longer than 3 minutes, but worth it.
    Don't forget to spray paint sides, sand top and clean before ironing on the transfer AND then carefully  touch up with brush  on paint  before dipping in etchant!!!
"I like the box caps because when I'm done populating the board it looks like a little city....and I'm the Mayor!" - armdnrdy

Pushtone

What markm said, all of it.

I've had a hard time getting PnP to transfer well when the top is super smooth.

It has to be flat, but some sanding grain helps the pnp stick. I stop sanding at 400grit.

What does markm's tutorial stop at? I forget.
It's time to buy a gun. That's what I've been thinking.
Maybe I can afford one, if I do a little less drinking. - Fred Eaglesmith

markm

I usually do 600 grit.....400 would be fine as well....I've stopped there before too!
Yes, there is alot of prep work for sure mainly because the enclosures aren't really as flat as one would think.  >:(
Besides, the ones I get are LOADED with imperfections.
Hey...it's only time right!  :icon_rolleyes:

Papa_lazerous

My press and peel turned up today. Had no problems with getting the any flat i work as an engineer, got an unlimited source of wet and dry. I went right up to 1500grit. At work now going to spray sides and go over the face again with some more wet and dry to remove overspray. At work till 4am so will etch sometime in the afternoon. Just need to get a small pot of paint and a brush to touch up with. I'm thinking the stuff used to paint model planes and stuff that comes in small pots. I'm optimistic but have a horrible feeling It'll turn out no good

Papa_lazerous

Just thought i'd add an update. I printed onto the pnp when i got home from work this morning. And ironed on, i didn't use enough heat and there was plenty that didn't come out. So i scrubbed it all off and tried another go. This time was better but not right. I upped the heat a touch more and the third attempt i spent allot longer working the iron around the surface. I used no pressure just kept it moving. It came out almost perfect. I'm going to catch 4 or 5 hours sleep now. Then i'm going to get a small amount of saint and a little brush and fill in the areas i need to, as i left a few patches for air instead of doing large areas. Fingers crossed the etching itself will go smooth

Cliff Schecht

You know what would probably save you guys a lot of money (being PnP ain't that cheap) is to use the Epson photo paper that I've been using. It's the only photo paper I've had work consistently and after just a board or two, it comes out even better than with PnP Blue. I'll see if I can find some online tomorrow.

markm

I could be wrong but, I don't of anyone yet having tremendous success with photopaper transfers onto an aluminum enclosure.
It may be okay for a PCB but, I don't know about enclosures.
PNP is expensive yes but, sometimes you get what you pay for!  :)

Papa_lazerous

I'm going to try photopaper for sure. Just about to etch, i bet its going to come out bad

markm

Quote from: Papa_lazerous on January 25, 2007, 10:57:24 AM
I'm going to try photopaper for sure. Just about to etch, i bet its going to come out bad

That's the way.....go in with complete confidence!

Papa_lazerous

WOOT!!!!!!!  ;D :icon_mrgreen: ;D

I etched and I must say its a bloody good first attempt.  Before you all cry pic pic pic.........  I will take pics but I intend on fitting pots stomp switch etc first.  The quality of the etch is near on perfect.  Only one slight fault and that is I put some small Italic text at the bottom of the pedal and there's a type-o that I didnt notice before but its only 2mm letters and you cant see it so I wil live with it.  Maybe it will ad mojo lol