Wah Inductor in a distortion/overdrive pedal?

Started by The Furious One, January 23, 2007, 02:54:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry Palms

The OT straying is certainly my fault. I get it now John, I see what you're saying. A coil as an RLC element in a tone control didn't even register with me mainly because what's been said here about the gyrator's displacement of it. I was in a "inductor in a general sense" mindset.

QuoteI see this as an intentional use of the unique qualities of a 'magic' inductor

Yes, I get it now.
Even if it isn't magical some guys just might have enough Star Power, I guess, to make it so.

Ref. The Dano GC.
After reading this review

QuoteOf course mine just sits there because the sound is so weird that it makes my ears bleed.

I just had to have it. :icon_smile:

Also, the Digitech Bad Monkey has the "Low" control setup similar to your recommendation to Jay. It works pretty well and might be something to put into DIY TS type builds too.

johngreene

Quote from: Harry Palms on January 23, 2007, 08:53:25 PM
Quote"never been done in a pedal before."

It's definitely been done before.
It's got a lot of potential.

Ok, finally got my grilled cheese today. Sounds like a fixed wah kind of thing. Have you traced the circuit? What has me curious is not so much the circuit, which is mediocure at best, but the indcutor was obviously a custom job. From the sound of the pedal, it appears to be rather high Q.
A Q-control might make the pedal useful along with a distortion bypass. More to come.
I started out with nothing... I still have most of it.