the wildest most over-the-top buzzy fuzz pedal

Started by caress, January 23, 2007, 10:43:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

caress

i'm looking for a schematic for a really really crazy fuzz.  i've put together, in hopes of getting this, an orpheum fuzz, added a boost to the orpheum fuzz, a bazz fuss, 2 bazz fuss in series, 2 bazz fuss in series with some mods, ampeg scrambler, added a boost to that...the list goes on.  i would really like a high-gain super buzzsaw type fuzz with some misbiasing gating possibilites.  so any ideas on how to get this over the top sound?

John Lyons

Univox superfuzz, Orpheum, Dirty sanchez, Shin-ei companion...thoose should get you there. Add in some panel mounted trim pots to misbias and your set!

Oh yeah, try the Digital Octaver Fuzz by tim escobedo. Massive full on square wave with a sort of body control that goes from full to this and octavey... I have a layout for it you want to try it.

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

MKB

The Mosrite FuzzRite is pretty nasty, but not terribly high gain.  Probably the noisiest monster I've heard is a Fender Blender.  Lots of gain and bass, sounds like Godzilla.

Sir H C

Foxx Tone Machine.  Has the most sounds of any fuzz I have used, if you make the Octave (Octive on the pedal...) foot switchable you can have some real fun. 

caress

hmmm...like i said, i've tried the orpheum and it wasn't as crazy as i thought it would be.  i mean, it sounded great, i'm just looking for something totally over the top...  i guess i just need to experiment with some good fuzz circuits and try some misbiasing... :icon_confused:  i should be adding trims to the collector, right?

doug deeper

Shin-ei companion!!!!
and leave off the filter at the end.
sounds huge and chainsawesque.
like the music machine meets jesus and mary chain!

Mark Hammer

Quote from: Sir H C on January 23, 2007, 02:05:03 PM
Foxx Tone Machine.  Has the most sounds of any fuzz I have used, if you make the Octave (Octive on the pedal...) foot switchable you can have some real fun. 
Betcha an FTM with a momentary footswitch for the octave would be a ton 'o fun! :icon_wink:
Actually, after watching Ton/Puretube's recent Youtube demos of his fascinating über-modulated delay, the thought of having the octave switch on an FTM be a FETturned on and off by an LFO is kind of intriguing.

....But we're drifting off topic.

I second the Shin-Ei Companion, especially if you stick a boost in front of it.  Baby, a sickness that intraveous penicillin couldn't cure.

Meanderthal

How bout Joe Gagan's Skyripper Fuzz? That thing looks like a moog modular beside the average fuzz...
I am not responsible for your imagination.

John Lyons

Skyripper is great, basically though it's a fuzz face with a lot of mods to misbias, "rip" and osciallate if you want it to. Similar to the Fuzz factory really. (here we go...) The Skyripper is a rangemaster in front of a modded fuzz face, with a foot switch bypass for both. There is a lot of inbetween sounds but nothing really ugly. It's all usable if you ask me.

The simplest most squarest wave I've done is Tim Escobedo's "Digital Octaver fuzz" which gates all the time. You can make it a little less gatey by puting a bias trimmer control between ground and +9v with the wiper to the input pin on the chip. Multiturn trimmer that is!, try 500K or 250K.

Here are a couple short clips I just cobbled up:

Power chords
www.mrdwab.com/john/DOF.mp3

Single notes

www.mrdwab.com/johnDOFlead.mp3

The tone control wasn't used in these clips. I had the tone on full up.There are a lot of in between settings with the tone control turned down as it smoothes out the buzz saw a good bit on the high octave settings. Man this thing will make your ears bleed! I took 5 minutes to make these clips at bedroom low volumes and my ears hurt...

John
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

hair force one

i agree with shepherd,Tim's TMK is very versatile in its own extreme way, can do the octive, the feedback pulse, some cool decay sequences and regular distorsions and fuzz tones too, a very rewarding build!

caress

mmm.  i think i found a winner...and it goes to doug deeper's garagefuzzzzz!  allston's finest!   ;)  i've added a number of modifications including bias pots, switched out the 1n4001s for LEDs, added a rotary switch with caps for the feedback-y self-oscillation, volume knob, filter.  i'm happy.

doug deeper

glad you like it!
(im actualy in cambridge now  ;))

Sir H C

Quote from: Mark Hammer on January 23, 2007, 03:28:39 PM
Quote from: Sir H C on January 23, 2007, 02:05:03 PM
Betcha an FTM with a momentary footswitch for the octave would be a ton 'o fun! :icon_wink:
Actually, after watching Ton/Puretube's recent Youtube demos of his fascinating über-modulated delay, the thought of having the octave switch on an FTM be a FETturned on and off by an LFO is kind of intriguing.

....But we're drifting off topic.

I second the Shin-Ei Companion, especially if you stick a boost in front of it.  Baby, a sickness that intraveous penicillin couldn't cure.

That would be really cool. 

Oh and the Shin-ei really is the Shin-ei FY-2 (I assume).  Companion is just a name that Shin-ei used for some of their distributors.

http://members.fortunecity.com/uzzfay/fy2/fy2.html

Is Dan N's great sites homage to the FY-2.  That was the secret to the Jesus and Mary Chain sound.  That and a wah that was very bright.

Sam

"Where's the paper bag that holds the liquor?
Just in case I feel the need to puke." - Silver Jews

JonFrum

Quote from: doug deeper on January 23, 2007, 09:04:37 PM
glad you like it!

Hey, I'm in Dedham.     Put on your longjohns - it's supposed to get cold! :icon_biggrin:

joegagan

good luck on the search, caress. maybe a roland beebaa with some circuit bending?

Skyripper is great by itself or with boosters in the loop, envelope filters/wah before or after, lower oct pedal ahead of it and def a vol pedal at the end of the mess to control the madness

I am starting a thread on the skyripper since it has been 6 years since the birth and probably not too many guys here now know the history - to sort of address basicaudio's reference   - thanks for the mention    -see other thread..

my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

caress

joe i built a skyripper before i made this post and was having some trouble debugging, hence the post to find a simpler circuit in the meantime.  i'm definetly going to keep working at the skyripper and maybe make a few design revisions for my own pedal...the clips you have sound great, btw.

z1

Parallel Universe! simple to build and has self osc, gate and everything what you're looking for...
the layout is in the Dragonfly dir...

doug deeper

Quote from: JonFrum on January 25, 2007, 01:13:24 AM
Quote from: doug deeper on January 23, 2007, 09:04:37 PM
glad you like it!

Hey, I'm in Dedham.     Put on your longjohns - it's supposed to get cold! :icon_biggrin:

no kidding its freeeeeeezing!