small stone confusion

Started by oczad, January 23, 2007, 11:15:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oczad

I have this very old EH small stone phaser that worked fine, but it seems someone has rewired it a bit. A couple wires came loose and when i went to find a schematic, every one i found shows it with a DPDT switch. Yet this one has a SPDT switch. (4 contacts) Was there an older one that had this switch, and if so does anyone know of a schematic with it so i can determine where the wires go? Thanks.

Mark Hammer

How many CA3094 chips does it have, 5 or 6? (Note: These may be labelled EH-1048)  That will give some clues as to where the wires go.

oczad

Ok, i was wrong about the switch. I was looking at the color switch. However, i'm still having a problem finding the effect out because the component values the schematic shows don't all exist and the traces seem different. For example, there IS a 10 UF, but it doesn't connect directly to one of the transistors as the schematic shows. Also there are resistor values shown that don't even exist on this unit. So when i try to trace it to the output i can't because the values i'm seeing in the path to the output don't exist. Does anone know of another schematic other than the "J" verson i find everywhere?

Mark Hammer

Googled around for a bit and all I could find was the Issue J schematic.  I have a copy of the schematic of your pedal at home,  I'll see if I can dredge it up tonight.  No promises, though.  I have a school meeting to attend this evening.  You may need to wait a day or two.

oczad

Thanks. You think it's different from the J? If so i'd love to see it whenever you can get to it...no hurry.

analogguru

While you are sitting and waiting for a better day, maybe you like to have a look at this:
http://analogguru.an.funpic.de/pictures/EH_SmallStone_75_c.gif

Good luck !
analogguru

Mark Hammer

Thanks, AG.  You saved me some work, and saved oczad some waiting.

Yep, that's the one.  The output of the pedal can be identified by looking for a 270k (red-purple-yellow) resistor.  Since there are two of them on the board, you'll want the one that is tied to a .0068uf (6n8, 6800p) cap on one side and a .1uf cap on the other.  The junction of the 270k and .1uf cap is your output.

puretube

yes, especially the LFO is different;
got an opened up box of exactly that model laying around somewhere, since~27 years now - when I find it, I`ll take a pic...

puretube

obsolete post...

oczad

Thanks !!! I appriciate the trouble you are all going to. Ok, now i need to figure out why it doesn't work when it did before all this. I cannot get a good view of whats going on with the switch because the sch. is a bit hard to read. But using common sense i have the switch's common going to the output jack and one side going to the input jack hot, and the other to the place on the board  i now see at the 27k/.1UF junction. However, unless i have that wrong there must be another problem because i get output only when the switch is bypassed. No sound when the phase is on.

analogguru

@puretube

The copyrights are a gift for you, cause you were so lucky to find it  ::)
You found something, what even google couldn´t find.

analogguru

Mark Hammer

Quote from: puretube on January 23, 2007, 04:35:26 PM
yes, especially the LFO is different;
got an opened up box of exactly that model laying around somewhere, since~27 years now - when I find it, I`ll take a pic...
Same LFO as the Ross, for those who are interested.  Note the electrolytic cap at the point where the LFO feeds the CA3094s.  That's a MAGIC part.  Makes for vast improvement in fast speeds by reshaping the LFO waveform as things get faster.  Stick one on your Ross and magic things happen.

puretube

oczad: tomorrow I`ll go down in the vaults, and take some pictures of exactly the same as yours original SmallStone pedal issue, so you can see all wires, their colors, and the pads/switches and pots they ought to be soldered to.

No need to further look into the original 1.7MB David %^&*erell`s .pdf schemo...  :icon_wink:

puretube

QuoteNote the electrolytic cap
: Tantalum!  :icon_wink:

oczad

Puretube, you are indeed a fine gentleman.....or as i'd be saying if i were younger, a good dude.  :icon_mrgreen: Thank you very much. See, this isn't my phaser. It's a friend's who asked me to fix it for him. And it's turned out to be a nightmare for me thanks to the loose wires and tangled mess it is. I like to help out friends, but if this were mine i'd probably toss it just to be done with this PITA. So your help is greatly appriciated, as i don't have the time to spend hours trying to fix a stinkin' pedal.