Soldano preamp build

Started by black mariah, January 23, 2007, 06:47:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

black mariah

I was thinking about taking the Lead channel from a Soldano XR88 and cramming it into a lovely little case of some kind. Given that I don't have experience working with tubes, does anyone think this would be too much to handle the first time out? It's only two tubes... can't be any more difficult than jumping into building an AX84 or something, eh?  :icon_eek:

bancika

lead channel of that preamp has 7 triodes which is three and a half of a tube (one triode common, four in lead channel and two more after). I wouldn't recommend it for first project. Take something easier. You need little experience for messing with higher gain circuit without making them into noise machine. I'd make 2 tube preamp like hoffman tube preamp or hotbox...
The new version of DIY Layout Creator is out, check it out here

black mariah

EEP! Yeah, you're right. That's my bad. I wasn't figuring for the tubes in the input and output buffers (I GUESS they're input and output buffers...). That doesn't seem like something that can be eliminated either. :icon_cry:

The others seem like a better idea right now.

John Lyons

This is basically the Dr Boogey pedal issue. The soldano was the first, then boogie copied it as well as Peavy 5150 etc etc.
Lots of gain and a critical circuit and layout. Some would say a nightmare!
I would not recommend it until you have made a few other simpler tube amps.
John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/