thor vs bsiab

Started by liakos, January 24, 2007, 07:05:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

liakos

i want to built a clean marshall sound overdrive pedal but i don't know which one?what i have in mind something between early Alex lifeson and van hallen sound?something i also want  is to "clean up" with the volume  knob of my guitar.from my search in the forum i think bsiab and thor are the best "marshall boxes"...
and let the party begin! :D

MartyMart

They are slightly different beasts
BSIAB II has more high gain and nails the EVH sound, can be backed off well too
Thor, more low to medium gain but a superb Marshall amp sound in a box  MASIAB  !!

MM
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

liakos

which one do you think is more "tube like "?i heard an audio sample of the thor and it was a little thin :-\

petemoore

The better one isn't for everyone, they're different beasts, one can claw you to shreds, the other can bite you to bits.
  Perhaps STM, who did work on the Thor Design, or Ed Guidry, who did work on the Design of BSIAB are buddies here, er..not perhaps, they're buddies here, and 'my dog better than'/Vs. tube dog stuff...is mostly unintentional, inadvertant, less than 'diplomatic'. "Thor" and "BSIAB" both go for a 2B sound.

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

MikeH

It's easy......

build them both......
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

MartyMart

Quote from: liakos on January 24, 2007, 08:06:38 AM
which one do you think is more "tube like "?i heard an audio sample of the thor and it was a little thin :-\

You also mention "Clean marshall" and "Alex Liefson" that's Thor for sure .... thin !!  no way.
As said, build both, Thor for low/med gain and BSIAB II for High gain stuff.

MM
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

grolschie

Quote from: MartyMart on January 24, 2007, 10:52:43 AM
Quote from: liakos on January 24, 2007, 08:06:38 AM

You also mention "Clean marshall" and "Alex Liefson" that's Thor for sure .... thin !!  no way.
As said, build both, Thor for low/med gain and BSIAB II for High gain stuff.

MM

How does Thor compare to the Eighteen?