So Whats In A J*ngle Box?

Started by vikki, January 24, 2007, 02:42:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vikki

Is it along the lines as a Dynacomp or something completely different.
Vikki(uk) :icon_rolleyes:

The Tone God

I'm guessing parts but I don't what a J*ngle box is. Never heard of it. Do you mean Jingle, Jangle, Jungle, Jongle, Jengle ? I hope you don't mean Jyngle cause then we are all screwed. ;)

Andrew

markm

My thoughts are that it's probably a type of Dyna/Ross circuit however, this is just a guess on my part and sometimes guesses are wrong.  :icon_neutral:
I'd like to know myself though!

skiraly017

I may be wrong, but I think it's based on the compressor that was built into Rickenbacker guitars. Maybe?

???
"Why do things that happen to stupid people keep happening to me?" - Homer Simpson

markm

Quote from: skiraly017 on January 24, 2007, 03:28:28 PM
I may be wrong, but I think it's based on the compressor that was built into Rickenbacker guitars. Maybe?

???

ROSS.  :icon_cool:

vikki

I think its something to do with the Rick compressor...here's a link to the Jangle Box............
http://janglebox.com/
Vikki(uk) :icon_smile:

markm

Quote from: vikki on January 24, 2007, 03:41:52 PM
I think its something to do with the Rick compressor...here's a link to the Jangle Box............
http://janglebox.com/
Vikki(uk) :icon_smile:

Ya know, It seems to me that the Ric on-board Comp was in fact a relative of the Dyna/Ross circuit.
RG had an article about it on his site I think.  ???

Ben N

I wonder if the switch isn't something like the Emphasis knob on the Marshal ED-1.

Ben
  • SUPPORTER

scotsman

I just got one actually. 

I have to find my set of small allen wrenches to remove the knobs and I'll be able to get a good look at the guts.

markm

Quote from: scotsman on January 24, 2007, 11:02:32 PM
I just got one actually. 

I have to find my set of small allen wrenches to remove the knobs and I'll be able to get a good look at the guts.

Would love some pics of the board....Please!!

Mark Hammer

1) There are a LOT, and I mean a LOT, of pedals that use exactly the same rectifier circuit as the Dynacomp.  You will see a phase-splitter (tranny with equal-value emitter and collector resistors), and complementary half-wave rectifiers (cap, diode, resistor, and tranny).  It *will* appear to be similar, but all it does is rectify the signal, and is not responsible for the "sound".  If you see it on the board, that does not make it a "clone" any more than using an opamp followed by diodes makes something a "clone" of a Distortion+.  It is simply how you derive an envelope signal.  Some of these pedals may even use it for controlling a gate or even an autowah, so do not be distracted by the rectifier.

2) There are lots of compressors that use gain control of an OTA as their means of producing dynamic compression.  The MXR/Ross uses an older CA3080.  The Boss CS-2 uses the identical rectifier circuit but uses a proprietary BA662 OTA chip.  The Pearl also uses the same rectifier but uses a BA6110 OTA chip.  Not sure what the difference in specs is between the 6110 and 662, but the pinout is different and Rohm makes/made the 662 specially for Roland.  Boss currently uses a THAT chip for control element in the CS-3.  The 3080 is infamous for having a fairly low tolerance for hotter signal levels, and needs to have the input signal padded down a lot to avoid distorting (See Jim Patchell's analysis of the 3080 vs 3280 for further info on this matter).  Consequently, at least part of the MXR/Ross circuitry is what you might call "compensatory" in that it strives to adapt to those limitations.  Use of a more robust OTA in other designs requires less of such adaptation.

3) The upshot of this is that there are many ways in which the design can appear to share much in common with other existing stompbox compressor designs, while being very different in some important ways.  At the same time, it may well be identical in some conceptual ways, but because it uses a more recently developed control element have less of the trappings that might otherwise suggest some of those older pedals.  Think of it as being like your grandpa with his whole head shaved and a muscle shirt.  Is it your grandpa ....or NOT?  Are those changes enough to make him someone different, or is it the same old thing underneath?

scotsman

Sorry for the delay in posting.. Sick kids.. Couldn't find my damn 1/16 allen wrench etc..

No close up shots - my DSLR has a long lens on it!  Guess I need a get a "shorter" one eh?

Op amp is a CA3080E
Trannies are 2N5088
Pots are B250k

Seems like it's just a Ross/Dynacomp variant..  Sounds friggin nice on my 12 string though! 

markm

Looks to me like it could very well be a Dynacomp with the Mark Hammer Attack/Recovery mod switch added.
Kinda like what Phillip has a Schem for over at FuzzCentral with the Ross Comp.
Not as "special" as I thought it would be.....I feel let down.  :icon_cry:

BDuguay

I was kinda expecting more too.
What's with all the caps in the second photo?
B.

Steve Newton

Quote from: BDuguay on February 07, 2007, 04:53:09 PM
I was kinda expecting more too.
B.

Kind of look like 0 Ohm resistors star earthing different circuit points to the input socket sleeve.
Steve.
Not my circus, not my monkey.

markm

Quote from: BDuguay on February 07, 2007, 04:53:09 PM
B.

IMO they look like small value caps to quiet noise in the PS perhaps.

scotsman

The toggle effects the tone of the pedal more then anything.  The dark setting is almost unusable - the bright setting on a 12 string is the magic bullet! 

I checked out out the attack/recovery mod - I'm not sure this is what's going on inside this box.. 

markm

That was just me jumping to a conclusion.
I didn't know the switch effected tone.
Very interesting.....kinda like the bright switch on the Soul Preacher.

scotsman

What interests me - is how would one implement this feature in to a ross style (clone) or even an Orange Squeezer type circuit?   

Hmm - where's the tone cap?

scotsman

Quote from: markm on February 07, 2007, 04:37:05 PM
Not as "special" as I thought it would be.....I feel let down.  :icon_cry:

Hey, at least you didn't spend $200 on it!