skyipper history

Started by joegagan, January 25, 2007, 03:08:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tungngruv

Truly awesome Joe, you pop in and out of here occasionally and drop bombs like this (last time it was the Decade and Freeper). THANKS!!!!! Now I have to build this to see what it sounds like and I'm only scratching the surface of what the Skyripper v.3 does. Where does this end? :icon_lol:

Also Joe, how are you dividing up your time between pedals, hot rods and every day responsibilities???? Let me gues, you created a fuzz pedal that's also a time machine? Seriously, Thanks!!

John Lyons

Wait a second Tung. Isn't yours wired up like this alreday (other than the ommition of the Fuzz bypass?
I have the Buffer bypass already in place, though you did too. Maybe you were just talking about doing it?

One other think I/we did is replace the 390 ohm resisitor near the output with a 1k which raises the output level. With the stock 390 the level was closer to unity with the gain at about half way up ormore. Now it's got a good boost at halfway up. Build it stock and see what you think.

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

tungngruv

Yes John, mines that way ever since Joe told me it messed up the tone otherwise. If I remember right, we changed the 390 to 1K (more fuzz output) and didn't we use a 25K trim on the range trannie to get the -7.1v? Man it's been a long time, I forgot all about those. My eyes are going and now my memory!!! Help me!!!!

tungngruv

Could be a lot neater on the inside but I'm going to rehouse most of this in another box with some ideas I have to make it ultra flexible and less intimidating. I literally threw this together when I started the idea of an unofficial SkyRipper site. Something that i could easily make sample settings for and have it relatively easy to understand.

joegagan

sorry I took the schem off of my post on pg 2.
photobucket changed their deal, they compress the files smaller now(bad resolution) so tungngruv is gonna post it in correct size today (i hope)
my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

8mileshigh

LOL, you always say this about your work but it always looks impeccable to my eyes.  How did you suspend the box that high up in the enclosure ?

Chris

Quote from: tungngruv on January 29, 2007, 12:07:53 AM
Could be a lot neater on the inside but ..........
Builts completed: Tweak-O, Fuzz Face Si and Ge, Rangemaster,Fuzzrite Si & Ge, Bazz Fuzz, L'il Devil Fuzz, Bosstone one knober, Bosstone Sustainer, Cream Pie, Kay Fuzztone. http://www.myspace.com/chrisdarlington

John Lyons

Tony
I'm going to blow that S Rip gut shot up of yours and make a  poster of it! Too clean!

Here is my Skyripper PCB and layout pdf
www.mrdwab.com/john/Skyripperlayoutfinal.pdf

I like the Separate switches for the Rangemaster and Fuzz Face sections.
Simple enough to omit the bypass if you choose.

I included All the 1M pulldown (pop protection) resistors that are on the schematic.
Also on the board are the current limiting resistors for the fuzz and Range bypass LEDs

Let me know if there are any things you see as wrong.
The Board is 100% I know, and I checked the wiring against my build and the schematic.

Build it!

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

tungngruv

Man John, that is some great work. I've said this a couple times before but really, is there anything you can't do? Great job.

Joe, I pm'd you with my email address to send me the new schematic. I'm at work now so I can't post the schem but I'll have it on the site tonight. The more I think about the Fuzz and Range being on all the time, it does make sense if you want that real aggressive tone, and I guess you could just lower the gain and range to get that back. I just like the Fuzz part of the Ripper so much that I'm gonna have to leave it switchable (for now). I'll also say this, if you have a few months to kill, it would be easy to do with a guitar, Skyripper and amp. I even went so far as using my camera to take pics of my Skyripper whenever I found a cool new sound. I swear, a person could write a book about it!

Also Joe, send me your mailing address please, I've got something I want to send you. Tony   

joegagan

John,
That layout looks awesome. thank you for doing that.

I have a few very minor suggestions if you would consider them and have time to incorparate them if you have time.

the function of the switching jack on the loop return is critical so if you could show the wiring diagram of that in the section showing the pot wiring layouts that would be great.  The switching jack from switchcraft is part # 12a for panel mount 1/4"     I would like to encourage as many people as possible to include this feature.
also re. the loop, on the actual component list on the pcb there is a blue line connecting the in and out of the loop. I am not sure i understand that notation.

is it possible to note on the sheet which schematic this layout is based on?
now that there is a new version I can foresee some confusion when people start building it

the S1 , S2 etc switch designations have all changed so ideally i would like to take the time to mod your layout to reflect the '07 version.

thanks again!
my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

Paul Marossy

QuoteThe Battle of Midway and Paul Marrosy have PH D's in wah wah's. I'd like to think I have an associates degree in Skyripper

Any PhDs in wahdom would be purely honorary on my part.  :icon_wink:

John Lyons

Ok, I updated the layout file to show the schematic version. 
I have not put in the jacks for the Expresion loop but the schematic is pretty clear on how this is wired so I don't know how I'd make it any simpler. The Two pads for the loop are jumpered on the PCB, so if you want to use the jacks you just take out the jumper and follow the schematic. I figure that the build is a little much with the possibility that you wire the jacks incorrectly. So if you just jump those pads initially you can get the circuit going and add the jacks after you know things are good to go.

I may or may not get to doing a layout for the '07 version. I really like having the independant bypass switches.
Even just having them as toggles would be ok. As I've said before, I like the rangemaster section by itself sometimes, with a slightly dirty amp of course. With  clean amp the Range section is pretty rude! A huge volume jump..but that can be nice in some situations as well.
It's a simple matter to omit them. I'll try to get to it.

John
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

tungngruv

The SkyRipper 07 version is up in the Gallery:

http://aronnelson.com/gallery/J-Gagan-NVN-Schematics/SkyripNEW07?full=1

I'm going to do a layout using MS Paint but it will take a week or two at the most, if you dont have time John. I'm training this week at work so it'll take a few more days than normal. One again Joe, THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John Lyons

Crap! found a small mistake in the switch wiring. 0n the Range switch "buff 6" should be  buff 5.
I fixed this on the layout file already.

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

John Lyons

I added the Skyripper '07 layout to the pdf file linked above. This layout omits the fuzz switch. This way the range can be turned off and the whole circuit can be bypassed with the first switch.

Joe (or anyone)
On the schematic there are two 1 meg resistors connected to the switch. One off the input jacks tip and one on the output jack tip.
The one on the input should be moved to the top of the switch so it connects the + of the 10uf cap as a pull down/pop protection resistor no?
And since the output jack tip is connected to a volume pot and to ground the 1M there is redundant because there is no DC there... right?
Just clarifying. Maybe the schematic should be changed...

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

tungngruv

Thanks for taking that one on John.