That surface mounted buffer layout?

Started by rockgardenlove, January 26, 2007, 11:18:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rockgardenlove

There was a buffer layout that allowed you to solder the components to the surface so you could just glue it down...
Where is it?  I can't find it.

Thanks!

R.G.

I don't know exactly what you're referring to, but making a layout like that is not hard. The only real difference between this and ordinary pin-in-hole layouts is that the components have to be prepped to have their leads touch the surface below them, and if you're using ordinary non-SMT parts, the leads have to be outside the body of the part, not under it.

For instance, something I've used is to bend the leads of a DIP package out flat to the sides, laying a TO-92 transistor down on the flat face, and curling the leads of resistors and diodes back under the body. Capacitors are the hardest to do this way. I've had best results laying the capacitor down on its side and forming the leads to meet the copper. Once you determine the lead-forming you want to do, the layout is perfectly normal.

R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Seljer

Quote from: rockgardenlove on January 26, 2007, 11:18:45 PM
There was a buffer layout that allowed you to solder the components to the surface so you could just glue it down...
Where is it?  I can't find it.

Thanks!

I think there was once a millenium bypass layout like so, never remember any buffer

though you could always take any buffer layout, but mirror it so it prints out the wrong way, the solder in the components on top