Mondo Fuzz with sound clip

Started by tcobretti, January 27, 2007, 11:55:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tcobretti

Interesting stuff, Gus.  I'll definitely check it out.

vortex

Hey, I built this yesterday for fun. Pretty cool!. I used 2N5089  and a 250K output pot. The 2N5089 were Q1 800HFE and Q2 1000 HFE.

I could only test her out at bedroom volumes, this circuit has tons of output, probably too much! I think that 1 K for the Gain pot would cover most of the usable range as well. This circuit has tons of sustain!

One thing I was hoping is that someone could suggest a tweak to tame the high end sizzle when the guitar volume is turned down. You know how the sound cleans up but there's that out of place high crackle on the transients. Is that possible on a circuit with this much gain? Here's hoping...

Nice FF variant tcobretti!!...Cheers

Gus

vortex

Try the output section of the circuit I linked.  It takes away some of the "edge"

Question has anyone built the circuit I linked?

petemoore

Yes, I remember really liking that cricuit, smooth FF tones, very nice.
  I remember not liking that I put it in cardboard Mouser box, home-made with wood input/output jacks, actually the jacks worked great, but the cardboard was rediculous.
  ...Sorely tempted to build this one again, it was a first off FF's for me, I'd all but forgotten that vibe. I got all the stuff from RS except the board and it sounded great !
  Might just do that and kick that 1/2 tweekid TS thing out from it's rarely used position, and have 2 FF's one near beginning and one near end of chain.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

tcobretti

Quote from: vortex on January 29, 2007, 12:28:20 PM
Hey, I built this yesterday for fun. Pretty cool!. I used 2N5089  and a 250K output pot. The 2N5089 were Q1 800HFE and Q2 1000 HFE.

I could only test her out at bedroom volumes, this circuit has tons of output, probably too much! I think that 1 K for the Gain pot would cover most of the usable range as well. This circuit has tons of sustain!

One thing I was hoping is that someone could suggest a tweak to tame the high end sizzle when the guitar volume is turned down. You know how the sound cleans up but there's that out of place high crackle on the transients. Is that possible on a circuit with this much gain? Here's hoping...

Nice FF variant tcobretti!!...Cheers

I'm glad you like it!  It is interesting, because that high end sizzle with the guitar volume is turned down is even more intense on my Mayer Classic Fuzz.  So I was actually pleased when the circuit started doing that!  I felt like it was another way the circuit seemed Ge-like.

BTW, I didn't realize 5089s could have such high HFE.  I guess it all comes down to the manufacturer.

vortex

QuoteGus: Question has anyone built the circuit I linked?

Hey! I just built Gus's Si FF this afternoon. I have been hanging around Arons SF since before Ampage and Gustav Smalley has always been full of ideas and wisdom. Hard to believe it has taken me this long to build one of his designs! OK, I'm a slow learner :icon_biggrin:. Let me tell you his silicon FF has tons of character and righteous tone! Super sweet around the 12 fret, cleans up excellently with the guitar volume knob.

Build notes: I socketed the trannys as well as the input and output caps. Right off the bat i was happy with the way this circuit performed so I haven't done any experimenting.  Yet!!! As it stands I have the 10uF input, PN2222 trannys with a HFE of 200-220, and the 0.1 output cap. I am liking the emitter bias, most designs I've built use the collector bias. The way I have been setting this circuit up is to half the guitars volume and use the bias pot to dial in the sweetest clean sound. After that, the higher guitar volume adjustments bring in the dirt in the nicest way.

I have noticed Gus hanging around here again recently and get the feeling that he's checking out the forum to see what's happening. Quite honestly, I think that Gus deserves a very long overdue "appreciation" and perhaps it's time to revisit his fine work! If my calculations are correct, he's at least 10 years ahead of most of us!

MartyMart

Quote from: Gus on January 29, 2007, 12:37:39 PM

Question has anyone built the circuit I linked?

Oh yeah !!  about two years ago, it's one of my "top three" FF's  :D
Another is the RM Classic, with a couple of tweaks and my "RocK FAce" fuzz  .... mp3
http://aronnelson.com/userfiles/RockFaceFuzz.mp3

For octave Fuzzy/wierdness, Andy's DragonFuzz :

http://aronnelson.com/userfiles/DragonFuzz2.mp3

MM.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Yun

i second the apreciation for Mr.Gus.  a LONG time ago, i stumbled upon his web page (which is now SADLY gone  :icon_cry:  ), and he introduced me to Things Outside of the box.  I actually owe Mr.Gus A LOT of my personal success. 

This Mondo fuzz thread is just one example of many that gus has proved to be an effect brain seurgeon. 

WE LOVE YOU GUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :icon_mrgreen:
"It's Better to live a lie, and forget the past, then to Forget a lie, and live the past"

Steben

Yoohoo!

Fuzz away!
Stunning sound, really nice.
Maybe a tiny bit too wooly for me, and I blame it entirely on the high overdrive setting on your amp, "I" would go for less drive.
Alas, lots of the smoothiness always comes from that amp flattening... I mean, without it, you would have lots of treble.
  • SUPPORTER
Rules apply only for those who are not allowed to break them

tcobretti

Quote from: Steben on January 31, 2007, 01:39:00 PM
Yoohoo!

Fuzz away!
Stunning sound, really nice.
Maybe a tiny bit too wooly for me, and I blame it entirely on the high overdrive setting on your amp, "I" would go for less drive.
Alas, lots of the smoothiness always comes from that amp flattening... I mean, without it, you would have lots of treble.

I'm glad you like it.

This is exactly right.  The amp does contribute a lot to the wooliness.  It's still pretty dark, but not nearly as muddy.  I like mud, but should have considered the fact that most people don't when I made that clip.  I may make another one with different settings.

joegagan

count one vote for M_U_D

you can back off and get less mud, but if it isn't there to begin with, watcha gonna do?

you can drive a 440HP camaro 60mph if you want to but you can't drive a 90HP Kia 150mph

that's why a tele is the best guitar for fuzz IMO. with a good treble bleed cap on the guitar and a good fuzz you can get a huge range of tones all at your fingers and guitar controls without stepping on a single floorswitch. 

ps i'll take the camaro...
my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

tcobretti

Yeah, it certainly seems like the heavier fuzzes work better with single coils.  I have always wanted a Tele, but haven't ever found the right one.

petemoore

Gus's FFTF has a profound cleanup, must be the circuit or chance, full sound of clean to sparkly grit mixed with clean [I have the seriesed HB coils w/treble bleed on vol pot]..
  Very powerful FF sound, profound cleanup ability, full, clean articulate w/no fizzies...I have some 'CV' NPN Ge's in there, and can say for sure the high gain to cleanup and intbetween tones on this circuit both sound good, and seem to be another mile or two apart from what my FF has provided.
  Clean seems cleaner/fuller, less fizzy and weak, Fuzz is certainly harder and thicker, I did alot of gain/bias/input volume [guitar]/cap tweeking. One mighty, fine sounding Fuzz clipping w great clean thing happening. Strong.
  I was playing just the FFTF through 5e3.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

8mileshigh

Quote from: joegagan on January 31, 2007, 08:21:31 PM

that's why a tele is the best guitar for fuzz IMO. with a good treble bleed cap on the guitar and a good fuzz you can get a huge range of tones all at your fingers and guitar controls without stepping on a single floorswitch. 

Yeah, I agree 100% with that, I love my tele(mine has Bill Lawrence pickups) with distortion and fuzz.  It's a very versatile guitar, the magic is in the bridge.

Chris
Builts completed: Tweak-O, Fuzz Face Si and Ge, Rangemaster,Fuzzrite Si & Ge, Bazz Fuzz, L'il Devil Fuzz, Bosstone one knober, Bosstone Sustainer, Cream Pie, Kay Fuzztone. http://www.myspace.com/chrisdarlington