2 Effects pedals in one box query.

Started by Fuzzy-Train, December 21, 2006, 09:05:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuzzy-Train

Ohhhh... it's supposed to be a  non TB octavia.... mines TB, you think that's why it doesn't work as a buffer?

I'll check right now or some bridging.... I checked a bunch of times but you never know.
THERE IS NO SIG.

The user formerly known as NoNothing.

Stuff I built!
http://s174.photobucket.com/albums/w106/Cpt_sergeant/?start=allRandom

tcobretti

Yeah, the key is that Hendrix's was not TB, so it was constantly have some effect on the signal.  Vanessa suggested that it helps buffer the wah, but I personally have not tried it yet.  I would think it would be dependent on how the bypass was wired on the first place. 

What you might want to try is wiring the pedal for non-true bypass, but instead of the clean signal going directly to the output jack, run it to the middle lug of the 1M volume pot.  That way the un-effected signal is still sent thru the Octavia's output buffer.

BTW, I'm sure you know this, but for this to work the Octavia has to be between the Wah and FF in your signal chain.

Please let me know if you try this - I'm curious myself but haven't gotten around to it yet.

mongo

Quote from: Meanderthal on December 26, 2006, 03:01:52 PM
Here's one without the leds from Dragonfly's layout gallery:

http://aronnelson.com/gallery/The-Mod-Zone-%21/WIRING_MULTIPLE_FX_IN_ONE_BOX

concerning this wiring layout, I have a dumb question maybe:  how do you power the pedals with, say, one single 9v battery?

Thanks,

Andy

Fuzzy-Train

Yeah, I wired the octavia 1st in line so it goes Octavia, Ge, Si. And my wah is before them in my chain.

I couldn't find any solder bridges... I thought the problem was because one joint was touching the enclosure of the wah, so I unscrewed it, and left it hanging so to speak. But that doesn't help any, still does the same thing as before.... I also just tried installing the pot in the other direction but no luck as well.

Will I be able to find the problem with a multimeter? I just got a multimeter not too long ago, so I'm not sure what exacty to test.

EDIT: I was just testing some the components on the DCV setting of my MM, and I'm getting readings like: Q1 4.76, 1.08, -1.08, -4.76..... And on C1: 1.02, -1.02, on C2: -2.01, 2.0, on R1: 1.12, -1.12, on R2: 2.21, -2.21
THERE IS NO SIG.

Stuff I built!

tcobretti

Well, for starters, the drain of the jfet should be getting a full +9v, so there's a problem there.

The big things I test with a MM are continuity, which tells you if you have a solder bridge or if a wire is broken.  You can verify the values of resistors.  I often measure the voltages to make sure things look right.  I also measure HFEs to fine tune my fuzzes.

Fuzzy-Train

When testing the drain on a transistor, I need to test using the 2 outer leads right? If so that's what I forgot to test when I wrote those previous readings. When I test the 2 outer leads I get 8.27v for the buffer, and 8.36v for the wah on Q2 (I used the GGG wah layout) Should it still be getting 9v or is that enough.

I checked for continuity (for solder bridge) but everything is the way it's supposed to be. BTW is it normal when you use the MM's postive probe on the boards ground, and ground on the boards positive that you get the buzzer for continuity? It doesn't go off when I connect positive to positive, and ground to ground BTW.

I'm stumped... everything seems fine and should be working right?

Thanks for the help though.

EDIT: Finally got some pics up

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=36392.msg409279#msg409279
THERE IS NO SIG.

Stuff I built!

tcobretti

When testing the drain on a transistor, I need to test using the 2 outer leads right? If so that's what I forgot to test when I wrote those previous readings. When I test the 2 outer leads I get 8.27v for the buffer, and 8.36v for the wah on Q2 (I used the GGG wah layout) Should it still be getting 9v or is that enough.

I typically put the negative MM probe on gnd and probe around with the positive.  That 8.27 might be about right because of the resistor on the source of the transistor.  Because the drain connects directly to the battery, (with the neg probe to gnd) it should read exactly the same as if you were testing the battery.

QuoteI checked for continuity (for solder bridge) but everything is the way it's supposed to be. BTW is it normal when you use the MM's postive probe on the boards ground, and ground on the boards positive that you get the buzzer for continuity? It doesn't go off when I connect positive to positive, and ground to ground BTW.

If the battery is connected, you should get continuity between pos and neg.  If the batt is not connected and you are reading continuity, then there is a problem.  And, if you are getting continuity with the probes one way, you absolutely should get continuity with the probe positions reversed.

QuoteEDIT: Finally got some pics up

Nice pics!   I like the three fuzzes in one box.  I have the Axis and my Mondo Fuzz in one box, and I just put a transformer and diodes in it to turn the Axis into an Octavia with the flick of a switch.  Seemed like a great idea, but really doesn't work all that well.

Fuzzy-Train

Thanks, I`m pretty happy with the way it turned out... now all I got to do is take everything out again and paint it.... someday LOL. not in a rush.

I`ll do some testing when I get home later tonight.... if I have time... if I can`t figure out the problem I`m just going to disconnect the buffer and run it the way I was doing it before, with my wah after the fuzzes.

Thanks for the help man.
THERE IS NO SIG.

Stuff I built!