Runoffgroove's Mr. EQ - making the peaks higher?

Started by sfr, January 28, 2007, 05:00:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sfr

Threw together the Mr. EQ, from Runoffgroove, today.  Used the PCB on the website.  Nice little project!   Sounds pretty much exactly like the soundclips on the website.   I have to try it with my "real" rig at some point, but I think it's probably just what I need.

Just a couple of quick questions -

Anyone who's built this - how much range do you have on the volume control?  It's certainly controlling the volume - but I wasn't sure if I should expect a little more "boost" out of the thing at it's max rotation or not.   It seems like it's really just designed to make up for any gain change in the tone control circuit, but I was curious.

Also - I'm only vaguely familiar with bridged-t filters, and I'm currently reading up.   Is there a way to make the peaks a little higher?  I feel like I might get more use out of this if the effect was a little more pronounced.

I'll have to play around with it - from the sound clips it seems like with distortion I'm going to be fine with what's going on now; unfortunetly the only distortion I have access to today is this little practice amp, which when running distorted, basically mushes everything up so much any EQ before it is practically useless.  (Honest, I can't even tell which pickup I'm using through this thing when it gets going)

The symbols for the 4049 - those buffers are basically opamps with the output connected back into the inverting input, "hardwired" as it were?  So it's like a unity gain opamp?  Or am I confused?

All in all, just playing around with the effect and clean tones, this is a nice little box.  Like I said, I need to experiment with it and my "real" rig, but playing with it more, I'm thinking rigging one of these up might let me get a decent clean sound out of my amp while it's still EQ'd for my dirty sound.  (I have switchable "channels" on my amp, but they share the same tone controls.)  Certainly a quick enough build I'd recommend it to anyone.
sent from my orbital space station.

oldrocker

I agree that this little EQ is a nice build.  The volume knob as you're describing it is the way mine works so like you said it only adjust the gain slightly depending in the frequencies. 
Believe it or not I use mine as a cheap acoustic simulator on my electric guitar.  My brothers band is a folk rock band and they frown on electric guitars generally.  When I sit in on lead guitar once in a while I'll plug my Tele into the Mr. EQ and adjust the toggles to a bassy muffle to fit in with the acoustics a little.  It's far from a real acoustic sim but I found without it, my Tele is way too harsh sounding.
As for how the 4049 chip works I'm no expert there so I'd check out the datasheet on it.
Congrats on the build.  It's amazing that such a simple EQ can make such a difference.  For a nice tube fuzz distortion (if you have an extra 4049 laying around) try the Red Llama.  I just built this little circuit and I love the deep tube like sound and it's a very simple build.