Smash Drive Schematic

Started by rankine, January 29, 2007, 04:21:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rankine

Could some one link me to the Smash Drive schematic as I can only find the layout. Thanks.

slacker

petemoore

Note that says 'Bottom' [of chip],...
  data sheet...finding pinout of V+ and Gnd should help sort out the IC socket wiring.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

12milluz

What kind of pots does it use...audio or linear?
Quote from: Processaurus
You need a glade plug-in, in on a footswitch.  Kick on the big muff, then hit the air freshener pedal.

Visit my site: http://www.freewebs.com/12milluzmusic

96ecss

Quote from: 12milluz on October 26, 2007, 09:02:25 PM
What kind of pots does it use...audio or linear?

I used all Linear in mine except for the volume which is Audio. http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/v/Daves-Layouts/Smash_Drive.gif.html

Dave

12milluz

I saw you used the Killer Version...how does it sound compared to the simple verison?
Quote from: Processaurus
You need a glade plug-in, in on a footswitch.  Kick on the big muff, then hit the air freshener pedal.

Visit my site: http://www.freewebs.com/12milluzmusic

aron

petemoore

Yupp...it's upside down, go by the numbered pins...flip the schematic over so the left is now right, or disregard for making the basic layout.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Electric_Death

Quote from: rankine on January 29, 2007, 04:21:56 PM
Could some one link me to the Smash Drive schematic as I can only find the layout. Thanks.

Simple enough, the smash drive is nothing more than Fairchild's stock schematic with a Marshall style tone post circuit.
This was the second circuit I ever built and I eventually did away with the tone stack.
Only short coming in doing so is some amps you overdrive with it won't respond to pinch harmonics very well.
My solution?
A Big Muff tone control slightly modified and tweaked to my liking. There's still enough gain to overdrive my amps distortion which is set on a rather tame 2 1/2 and now I get pinch harmonics galore. It's a really simple, straight forward beginner's project that performs.

96ecss

Quote from: 12milluz on October 26, 2007, 09:25:34 PM
I saw you used the Killer Version...how does it sound compared to the simple verison?

I never built the simple version. The killer version sounds good though.

Dave

Electric_Death

I also forgot to mention my distaste for the smashdrive's diagramed gain control.
After trying a few different pot values, I ended up using a 500 ohm wired as a variable resistor, slapped the 10uf cap on one of the lugs and wired it between pins 1 and 8.  Keep in mind you don't ground this pot. The gain transition is excellent from 0-10 like it should be. After doing this and adding the Big Muff style tone control, the gain loss was a bit too much. If you max your gain and volume, you end up with noise and a dead battery after a couple days use where as before the B.M. tone was added, I'd get sometimes a couple months with plenty of daily use.

Anyway I got 75% of the way through building the solution which was one lm386 into another to solve the gain loss and power consumption issues but, I built an op amp overdrive I'm so happy with I haven't bothered finishing up this preschool level design.
I still think it's worth both finishing on my end and others building though. It's simple as can be and with the filtering you'll get more pinch harmonics and gain than you could ever need. The killer version is great and all but, the B.M. tone delivers much better results imo.

aron

>I still think it's worth both finishing on my end and others building though. It's simple as can be and with the filtering you'll get more pinch harmonics and gain than you could ever need. The killer version is great and all but, the B.M. tone delivers much better results imo.

Wow! On one hand you are claiming to be a novice. On the other hand, you seem to know a lot about this design and call it preschool, then on the other hand you ask simple op amp questions and bipolar biasing questions.

Are you a novice or not? Inquiring minds want to know :-)

soulsonic

Check out my NEW DIY site - http://solgrind.wordpress.com

aron

Sorry Martin, I got carried away...... :-(

soulsonic

Aron, I think you have exercised a great deal of restraint here - no reason to feel bad about venting a little!
I am pretty sure you are saying what everyone else here is thinking too.

Electric_Death

Quote from: aron on November 01, 2007, 02:49:16 PM
>I still think it's worth both finishing on my end and others building though. It's simple as can be and with the filtering you'll get more pinch harmonics and gain than you could ever need. The killer version is great and all but, the B.M. tone delivers much better results imo.

Wow! On one hand you are claiming to be a novice. On the other hand, you seem to know a lot about this design and call it preschool, then on the other hand you ask simple op amp questions and bipolar biasing questions.

Are you a novice or not? Inquiring minds want to know :-)

I haven't been very consistent with building circuits regularly. Mostly I've been modifying them and adding to them so there's a lot of simple stuff that slips my mind. It was a bit embarrassing after I asked about how to increase the gain in the op amp based booster circuit I designed and someone tells me to change one of the gain set resistors, duh!
In my defense though, I was seeing it from a post build mindset, not the schematic so I was hoping there was an answer that didn't involve desoldering parts. There's been a few cases where I've taken a cap, probed around with it a bit and gotten a nice gain boost, that was the answer I was hoping for, "just add a cap here....."

I understand it's your design though, lol.
I call it preschool because compared to most circuits floating around most these sites, it's a simple build that performs really well so it's a great starter project to get people hooked. From a design perspective, I generally understand everything. I'd been reading about photo transistors and figured I could work one into the feedback stage of an op amp which it turns out is basically all the Flatline compressor really does.
I've dubbed myself a novice due to my power supply issues and the fact that I haven't really built anything complex. That should change however with the way my dual stage overdrive has recently advanced. I'm pretty avid about my demand to design everything I build from scratch. I'll study this or that, take note of what was done then design something completely different in hopes of getting similar but superior results. Recently I looked at a 3 band active EQ someone posted. My first design concept was, maybe I can just split the signal into however many op amp stages I'd like to create active filtering, which in this case is 5, get their frequencies dialed to my taste then output them all to the same 1/4 jack. Without ever seeing anything like this, my suspicions are that it's because it won't work, lol. They'll feed back into one another but, maybe I can wire in some resistors or diodes to eliminate this issue.

Hence the reason I say I'm a novice. It's a lot of trial and error, almost no math and the concept that something that shouldn't work, will work if I go about it in a manner that makes no sense in regards to what "going by the book" teaches you. My booster uses some caps on the input shunt to ground which absolutely should cut the highs and reduce gain due to the loss of signal. Instead it dramatically boosts mids and highs while easily doubling the gain.
Why??
I have absolutely no idea and a couple vets saw the schematic and said it wouldn't do what I said which I understood before being told but, for some reason it does  :o

soulsonic

That process is called "Circuit Bending".

Electric_Death

Quote from: soulsonic on November 02, 2007, 01:28:34 PM

Yeah cept most circuit bending you'll find is used to annoy the crap out of people  :icon_mrgreen:

FisTheGoon

Sound interesting bout this pedal.How does it sound?Anyone can upload sample for the killer version? ;)

DougH

Quote from: Electric_Death on November 02, 2007, 06:18:21 PM
Quote from: soulsonic on November 02, 2007, 01:28:34 PM

Yeah cept most circuit bending you'll find is used to annoy the crap out of people  :icon_mrgreen:

Well that settles that, then. This is definitely circuit bending...
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."