some new finishes i tried (pics)

Started by birt, January 30, 2007, 04:54:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rockgardenlove

igor12

Totally unique,  but I can't really advocate destroying life for the purpose of an effect finish

rockgardenlove

blanik

next time i get a call for a metro suicide jumper i'll keep skull fragments to epoxy on hammond boxes, it's gonna be called "Cranium Overdrivium"  :icon_wink:

i predict a huge sucess with goth bands...  :icon_twisted:

stm

Quote from: igor12 on January 31, 2007, 12:30:54 PM
Totally unique,  but I can't really advocate destroying life for the purpose of an effect finish

I support the above statement, and I'm not comfortable about the many bugs I killed "in the name of science" when I was a kid.

Nevertheless, if you come by a dead roach you might consider drilling a 5mm hole in the box and planting a hi-eff red, orange or yellow LED leveled with the box.  Then expoxy the roach above the LED so when the effect is engaged the roach itself will lit  :icon_twisted:

You can also try a light bug with a lime green LED as well.

Paul Marossy

A scorpion imbedded in epoxy would be cool. When I was a kid (in the 70s) I went to the Petrified Forest and bought this resin paperweight with a scorpion in it from a gift shop there. I thought that was the coolest thing at the time...

stm

Scorpions are fluorescent, meaning that if you use a violet or UV LED it will emit with a whitish glow.

JonFrum

As a former biology major - with two beetle tatoos on my arm - I think it's too cool!    :icon_mrgreen:

stankyfish

Quote from: birt on January 30, 2007, 04:54:37 PM
i made a feedback looper (with green/red duo color led) and a tap tempo pedal so i decided to try some new finishes. i'm sure they're not new but they are to me.

"No bugs were hurt in the making of this pedal."

John Lyons

Snakeskin you say?

Python skin  "State Variable Filter" (with foot controlled sweep)

Western Diamond back Rattlesnake (in progress)

Pedal of same covering (in progress)

Just some of the things I've got going.

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

blanik

wow Basiaudio, your stuff is amazing! did you do the variable filter enclosure yourself? looks interesting for a whammy type pedal...

R
(does the skin comes with snake oil?)  :icon_biggrin:

petemoore

Snakeskin sure looks cool !
  I think a 'fancier' style bug, painted bright colors, maybe some gold leaf, then epoxied might look pretty cool.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Cliff Schecht

Quote from: dano12 on January 31, 2007, 09:54:47 AM
Beauty and the beast! Nice dremel job on the first one. The second one is great! I don't see what the fuss is all about.

When I was a wee lad, my brother and I used to catch %^&*roaches and pin them to cardboard. We would then attach pins to the outputs of a model train transformer and use it to "animate" the %^&*roach by poking the pins into various parts of the still-alive bug. Note that this was all done in the name of science, not because my brother and I were deliquents with too much time on our hands (which we were).

I think you could elevate your bug pedal to the level of performance art by attaching live roaches to the outside of the pedal and have them hardwired to the output of the pedal--thereby causing the bug to move its legs in proportion to the output of the circuit. If you decide to go into commercial production, you could easily establish a recurring revenue stream by supplying customers with fresh %^&*roaches from various corners of the world. I would imagine that, depending on how you wire the circuit, the roach could actually become a part of the pedal's overall tonality. For example, additional leads to the thorax could act as a capacitor.

%^&*roaches from different parts of the world could demand premium prices and thereby start a new industry in the cultivation and collection of NOS or exotic bugs. One can imagine the comments of "I prefer the haunting mids of the Peruvian Hissing Deathroach for my distortion needs, and rely on common Florida palmetto bugs for my mid-range TS type sounds."

Just a modest proposal.

This entire thread just made my day. I've been doing homework since 10 AM, finished at 12...

rockgardenlove

What's the best way to preserve entrails?

blanik

Quote from: rockgardenlove on February 01, 2007, 02:32:10 AM
What's the best way to preserve entrails?

generic isopropyl alcohol and a tightly sealed jar...  :icon_rolleyes:

choklitlove

Quote from: stm on January 31, 2007, 07:57:04 PM
Nevertheless, if you come by a dead roach you might consider drilling a 5mm hole in the box and planting a hi-eff red, orange or yellow LED leveled with the box.  Then expoxy the roach above the LED so when the effect is engaged the roach itself will lit  :icon_twisted:
i guarantee that would start to smell after a few minutes!

does anyone else think snakeskin is disgusting?
my band.                    my DIY page.                    my solo music.

John Lyons

The state variable filter is based on craig andertons Super tone control. I've posted about it a few times. Short answer is that it's really cool and versitile Wah, Filter sweep, studio type eq or just a nice boost or notch type eq with a resonance control. yes, I did it myself.
The snake oil came with this one but isn't necessary!  WHen the guy who commissioned this first broughy the idea up I laughed out loud.
After 3 things covered with snake skin I'm getting used to it and really like it The texture of the skin is like thick paper or very thin leather. A bitch to work with. Many hours to cover the guitar and seal it. I'll post the finished pics when I'm done. Looks a lot better now that it's sealed and smooth, damn those scales are hard to smooth out!

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

Cliff Schecht

Ronsonic

Quote from: choklitlove on February 01, 2007, 04:38:35 AM
Quote from: stm on January 31, 2007, 07:57:04 PM
i guarantee that would start to smell after a few minutes!

does anyone else think snakeskin is disgusting?

Snake skin is badass. Just listen to Bo Diddly, he'll tell ya.

Ron
http://ronbalesfx.blogspot.com
My Blog of FX, Gear and Amp Services and DIY Info

John Lyons

It was a '56 strat with an ugly sea foam green finish... Just kidding!

It's an 90's Carvin neck through body with a Kahler floating tremolo. I am putting in active EMGs in it that are white. I was going to cover them with snake skin as well but though better... Painted them hammertone brown.

Yeah. bo Diddly... he even "wore a cobra snake for a neck tie"

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/