Most Rat like distortion?

Started by jpm83, January 31, 2007, 01:53:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpm83

What would be a distortion pedal that has most rat like tone? You can suggest many alternatives, I'm making my pedals to veroboard so simplicity of design would be nice. And thanks for the support in my last project you are great.

Janne

petemoore

Dist+ with 'something' on the input, adjustable LP filter across the diodes, selected input cap, perhaps a touch of added LP near input when 'something' is boosting it.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Dragonfly

Rat

Ibanez Fat Cat

What Pete said   :)

MikeH

I think the Roger Mayer Mongoose is very much like a Rat.  Oh, and then there's the Rat.
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

jpm83

Thanks. Ibanez fat cat seems interresting, is there vero layout for this?

Janne

slacker

The fat cat is the same circuit as a rat but with some different component values, so if you can find a vero layout for the rat you can use it to build a fat cat.
Stupid question, but if you want something that sounds like a rat why don't you just build a rat? It's a pretty simple cicuit.

jpm83

Quote from: slacker on January 31, 2007, 02:28:56 PM
The fat cat is the same circuit as a rat but with some different component values, so if you can find a vero layout for the rat you can use it to build a fat cat.
Stupid question, but if you want something that sounds like a rat why don't you just build a rat? It's a pretty simple cicuit.

Thanks for info. Rat has that lm308 ic which is very hard to find and is expensive, thats why I'm looking for alternatives. I just listened harmonic percolator sound samples does it have samekind of harmonic thing going on in nature, should I try this for kind of Rat sound.

Janne

P.S. Sorry if there are spelling mistakes, I`m from Finland.

Dragonfly

For comparison's sake....

Dragonfly

Quote from: jpm83 on January 31, 2007, 02:14:00 PM
Thanks. Ibanez fat cat seems interresting, is there vero layout for this?

Janne

No vero layout that I know of.

I "simplified" the circuit and did a PCB layout for it though...don't know if this will help you....

AC

jpm83

Thanks for all of you. The schematic helps if I decide to make that fat cat. I got very interrested on that harmonic jerculator. Does it have that same harmonic stuff going on that rat does.                                                   I'm in kind of Jeff Beck phase right now so thats why I'm looking for this type of distortion.

Janne

Pedal love

jpm83

Thanks Pedal love. I couldn't find schematic or layout for that voodoo OD-1.
   Does this diode mod add a clipping section for this distortion or what? And could somebody draw me a picture of this mod so I could add this to vero layout if I'm going to do this distortion. Here is the link. http://www.home-wrecker.com/harmonic.html

Janne

WGTP

You can use a TL070 in place of the LM308 as a direct replacement.  There are a number off threads that discuss the replacements for the op amp.   :icon_cool:
Stomping Out Sparks & Flames

Cardboard Tube Samurai

Quote from: jpm83 on January 31, 2007, 02:46:56 PM

Thanks for info. Rat has that lm308 ic which is very hard to find and is expensive

They are quite readily available here in Australia and only cost around $10(AU). If you really want to build the RAT, order one from these guys... http://www.prime-electronics.com.au/INDEX.HTM

jpm83

Thanks for info's guys. I really got interested from that harmonic jerkulator with ge-diodes. Could I use junk AC128;s in the place of diodes. The sound sample of that thing was great.
  I'm still wondering what he actually means by adding ge-diodes to the end.

Janne

Meanderthal

You mean Tim's Harmonic Jerkulator... which mentions the clipping diodes that were part of the  Interfax Harmonic Percolator circuit. Here's the schematic(s)-

I am not responsible for your imagination.

jpm83

Thanks. This was the info I was looking for.

Janne

Meanderthal

Oh, and yes, you can use junk Germaniums as diodes. Now that you mention it, I've built the Jerkulator(with diodes- Love it!) and it DOES sound rather ratlike... I never noticed before... interesting!
I am not responsible for your imagination.

tcobretti

How would you guys describe the difference between the Rat and Fat Cat soundwise?

brett

Hi I'm a bit late with this, but you can add a Rat-style harmonics control to the Bosstone and get a very intersting circuit.  With a low hFE Q1 it is mild, but with hFE=400 it is capable of Rat-like wildness.
cheers
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)