Boosters and guitar noise

Started by JonFrum, February 02, 2007, 09:54:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JonFrum

I'm not sure if this belongs  here or in the lounge - feel free to move it.

I built a Rangemaster, and I really like the tones I get with it. I have noticed that the noise from my pickups and guitar wiring is also boosted - naturally. It's an Agile 335 knockoff, so there's no shielding around the control wiring. I really have to work hard keeping my right hand on the strings  - when possible - to keep the noise grounded. Is this a common problem with boosters?

petemoore

noise:
my list [using filtering, my PS's seem mostly as noisy as batteries, battery on FF's].
1 what you alredy have that's amplified by the booster
2 the transistor noise
3 other things like resistors
./.
1 you can unplug the guitar and get a good idea what the circuit itself adds
2 plug in different Q's, bias, and compare noise, ge's tend toward sometimes
3 used, but I don't understand how any R material differences wouldn't be grossly dwarfed by the noise caused by 1 or 2.
//
1 guitar and cable noise, RF hash etc.
2 leaky transistor, thermal bias issues
3 OT I think
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Processaurus

Hollow bodies are a crazy pain to take apart and put back together, so it would be hard to go to the source of your noise.  If you're attached to the guitar i'd just get good at turning the boost off during breaks and turning your guitar down in between songs, its alright when you get used to it, when your instinct becomes that you need to turn the volume back up to make sound. 

markm

If you can't hear the noise from the Rangemaster when the band's playing....then it's considered "quiet"!  :)

JonFrum

The Rangemaster is quiet - it's the guitar that's noisy. Cover the strings with a hand and it's just about silent.

sfr

What about wearing one of those grounding bracelets like when you work on static-sensitive components, and attaching it to the bridge?

(I'm sure this is not a good idea)
sent from my orbital space station.

GibsonGM

You might just take the guitar to a good tech to make sure it's well-shielded.  Doing this incorrectly could be hazardous.  If you're taking the time to build nice equipment, it should be well worth the (not very high) cost to improve your sound regarding hum!  Sounds like a nice axe otherwise...

Then, there are strats & other single coil axes, which will always buzzzz if interference is near, lol.  I made a kill switch for a guy because a dimmer near where we play open mic nights was causing him crazy noise between songs.  Solved the problem, could solve yours!  Good luck with that
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

markm

Quote from: GibsonGM on February 04, 2007, 09:59:58 AM
Then, there are strats & other single coil axes, which will always buzzzz if interference is near, lol. 

I feel the pain.
I play a Tele and I gues the buzz adds.....well...."Character"!  :icon_confused:

Hiwatt25

A little OT but I love my tele and consider the noise it creates a badge of honor...long live noise!

Pushtone

Would a super thick 40-gauge copper shield like this one

http://www.monteallums.com/Shielding.html#TeleShield

cut down the hum from single coils?

Hey, their inexpensive too!

Note: Check out the set-up ruller farther down that page.
It's time to buy a gun. That's what I've been thinking.
Maybe I can afford one, if I do a little less drinking. - Fred Eaglesmith

markm

Elektrojänis

Quote from: Pushtone on February 04, 2007, 02:30:11 PM
Would a super thick 40-gauge copper shield like this one

http://www.monteallums.com/Shielding.html#TeleShield

cut down the hum from single coils?

I don't know about those, but these are worth reading:

http://www.guitarnuts.com/wiring/shielding/shield3.php
http://www.guitarnuts.com/wiring/shielding/tele.php

The same principles are applicable on allmost any guitar.

JonFrum

The guitar I referred to above is a semi-hollow, so I can't get into the body to shield the controls - unless I could do the "ship in a bottle" thing through the F-hole. Which I can't.   :icon_cry:

Unclerny

I've been told numerous times that having the PUs potted can reduce a lot of noise from a guitar.

Lindy Fralin does great work.

http://www.fralinpickups.com/

UE
Uncle Ernie's Effects
One Man's Distortion is Another Man's Reality

GibsonGM

There's gotta be a way to do that (shielding thru F hole).  I know you can get the pots in & out with surgical tubing and stuff...I know a guitar tech that I'll be talking to at tues. open mic, and I'll ask how to go about that.  Inquiring minds want to know  ;D
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

sfr

Just stand inside a giant metal box when you play.
sent from my orbital space station.

JonFrum

Quote from: sfr on February 04, 2007, 10:34:26 PM
Just stand inside a giant metal box when you play.

Like one of these?

Good for lightning strikes too.  :icon_biggrin: