just a quick question?

Started by mattpocket, February 04, 2007, 06:18:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattpocket

which of the solder tags on the following layout are sleeve, tip and ring?

http://aronnelson.com/gallery/album19/mxr_dist_plus

Here is a pic of the socket, i have labeled the tags A, B and C, please indicate which is which. I am guessing for the mono socket the tip tag is the one on the side with the tip, if that make sense.

Thanks!
Built: LofoMofo, Dist+, Active AB Box, GGG 4 Channel Mixer, ROG Omega
On the Bench:Random Number Generator, ROG Multi-face, Speak & Spell
--------------------------------------------
My Pop-Punk Band - www.myspace.com/stashpocket

Auke Haarsma

mattpocket

cheers bud,

that wiki page is intersting too...

its not that I dont normally know which is which, I just couldnt tell directly from the way the socket is drawn...

thanks though!

Auke Haarsma

yw..but...now that I look at the schematic I think I answered you wrong.

You see the black line (B) going to the PS, so that would be Ring
You see the green line (C) going directly to both jacks and the PS, that would be the Sleeve (and ground)
And you see the red line (A) going into the board, which would make that Tip.

Sorry for the confusion, but looking at the schematic, my first reply was wrong.

GibsonGM

I always have to re-verify which is which with my continuity tester, LOL.  I use a few diff. types of jacks, and they're different in construction. 
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

mattpocket

Quote from: ponq on February 04, 2007, 07:04:33 AM
yw..but...now that I look at the schematic I think I answered you wrong.

You see the black line (B) going to the PS, so that would be Ring
You see the green line (C) going directly to both jacks and the PS, that would be the Sleeve (and ground)
And you see the red line (A) going into the board, which would make that Tip.

Sorry for the confusion, but looking at the schematic, my first reply was wrong.

for the output jack (mono) the pink line will be the tip also, and the green line the sleeve?

THANKS for the help so far!

matt

Auke Haarsma

Indeed!

Output Jack green = sleeve
Pink = signal (out) = tip

Glad I can help!

mattpocket

Also, on this layout, a lot of the green lines intersect each other in "mid-air". It's fairly obvious, it wouldn't be best practice to solder them together at the intersection points so what would I do?

So far I have done the following.

Would this still work when compared to the original diagram?
http://aronnelson.com/gallery/album19/mxr_dist_plus

The way I planned to do it on the stripboard was to extend the board slightly and just have each wire going to a single hole on the board (5th row up at the very left of the board). Would it matter what order the wires were soldered in (left to right) or doesnt it make any difference? For example, I could connect them (from left to right) connection A, B, C, D, E... depending on the component they lead to would it make a difference if I soldered them B, D, E, C, A for example?

I breadboarded this at the weekend and I have not got it working yet, but the LED does get brighter when the volume knob of the guitar is turned. But I am pretty sure I have my jacks wired wrong. However, I have wired them all the ways possible, so I'd have thought, at some point throughout the weekend it would have worked if that were the problem.

PLEASE HELP! :O

Auke Haarsma

The green-lines are all 'ground'. As long as the are connected it doesn't matter in which way. ABCDE = CBDEA in this case.

If your led responds to your guitar volume, I think you have miswired the jacks.

You could tidy up the wires by wiring the batterjack, the mono jack, the board and  the 3dpt center pole to the stereo jack (I'm talking about the ground, green lines now).
Then just connet the green-Drive to the board.

I learned a lot by using a DMM and just putting down the pins to see how the current flows. If you have a DMM, use the connection-check setting. It makes a sound when the two pins are connected. It's an easy way to see that ABCDE or BCDEA doesn't matter.

hth

mattpocket

That helps a lot.

So as I understand it, the tidied wires would look something like this:

1. stereo jack - mono jack
2. stereo jack - centre lug 3pdt
3. stereo jack - dc jack
4. stereo jack - board
5. drive pot - board

choklitlove

check out our wiki's FAQs: http://www.diystompboxes.com/wiki/index.php?title=DIY_FAQ#JACKS

it's a nice place to check before posting.  not to mention a nice thing just to read at leisure
my band.                    my DIY page.                    my solo music.

mattpocket

thanks, I took a look at the wiki before, but it didnt really help with my question about which lug was which on my layout drawing, and I'd already soldered and re-soldered so many times I was really getting confused! haha

ponq: can you verify that the connections in my latest layout are what you meant in your previous post?

thanks,

matt

Auke Haarsma

You have wired them correctly.

mattpocket

Thanks a bunch guys!

Saved the day again, I will have a quick re-solder session tonight before band practice, lets see if it works now! :)

THANKS AGAIN! :D