Vero layout for JC Maillet's Nyquist Aliaser

Started by slacker, February 06, 2007, 04:51:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slacker

Seen as how there's a couple of nyquist aliaser threads around at the minute I thought it was about time to post my vero layout for JC's original version.

I've built it so I can confirm that the layout works. I'm adding a square/triangle/random LFO to mine for total sonic madness. I'll post some clips and pictures once it's finished. 

calculating_infinity

Hey nice job man!  I'm gonna have to breadboard/build this when I get home!  Thanks for sharing slacker!

-Jonathan

oldrocker

Hey nice Nyquist layout.  I never do vero but that's still looks good.    I brought one of the trim pots to the outside of the enclusure.  I just built this and added the envelope follower and it's a trip to play around with.  Even without the EF it's still cool as heck IMHO.

Processaurus

Slacker, thanks very much for this layout, I made it today in about 2 hours and it worked first time (well, after I switched the output and one of the pot's clip leads).  Subbed in a TL082 for the opamp and 2n5088s for the transistors.  Note to people using this layout, the IC mark should go toward the top.  I'm going to build it into a crybaby shell later, I'll see how the pot taper of the wah works out.  Right now audio taper is good if you want it to downsample as you turn it clockwise, and reverse audio taper if you want the downsampling counterclockwise.  It sounds so clean when the pot is back I may not even put a bypass switch in there  :icon_eek:, it'll always be ready to go with the rocker pedal.  I think definitely I'll make the 10K trimpot setting the range a little external pot (got some of those tiny alpha PCB mount pots), to tailor the sweep with the rocker.

There's a crybaby in there still, I may leave it in and have a toggle switch and a big knob on the side to bring it in and set the frequency, in the spirit of making a poor man's Sonic Alienator (though have no fear Paul, I haven't figured out bit reduction and bit swapping yet).  Might sound cool after the downsampling because of all the high end artifacts that get generated.

Thanks for sharing your design with us JC, it is incredibly cool to have a pedal that does what my most beloved plugin, the Logic Bit Crusher, does.

theblackman

i would imagine that it would take a whole lot of electronics to do bit swapping and reduction using methods similar to this. it would probably be a whole lot easier to make one of these synths  http://gweep.net/~shifty/death/, and program it (there is probably already a plugin as this would be fairly easy to program).

I LOVE THESE KIND OF EFFECTS! I will certainly be making one of these in the future.
Bought: zvex woolly mammoth, octane 3, moogerfooger ringmod, frostwave resonator, boss sd1, ds1, dd6
Built: big muff, green ringer, tremulus lune, the crank
Planned: harmonic percolator, pt80, shin ei.

MartyMart

Cheers Slacker, I knocked one up yesterday ( one of the few circuits that I DIDN"T make yet !!)
I got quite good results, but the more "wild" settings that I like, include awful "whine" bleeding through :-(
I know that the 100uf/220ohm off power line is meant to help but is there any way to reduce this ?
I used your layout but just made it a few "holes" wider to accomodate my larger trim pots
Perhaps there's another power point that can be filtered or separated in some way .....how about
direct at IC pin 8 ?
regards,
marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

slacker

Cheers for the reports :)
Can't really help with filtering Marty, I just followed JC's advice and it worked for me. Might be worth trying a small cap across pin 8 and the oscillator ground. The whine's is possibly coming from Q3 switching though which you should be able to tune out almost completely by adjusting T1 and T3, although like you said there are some wilder sounds to be had that only seem to work with a bit of whine.
When I first built it I thought the whine at some settings was pretty bad but then I realised that the circuit was just really loud, and when I turned it down to unity or a sensible level then most of the whine disappeared.

solarplexus

DIY Poser.

solarplexus

:icon_eek:

gotta build one!  I went into a NES flashback from 1989!! 
DIY Poser.

Austin73

there is a god! been waiting for a vero one for ages, so Thanks so much.

Was thinking of using 2n5089 for the transistors would that be ok? also what do the trim pots do and how should they be set? are they bias pots?

Also would love to add ef of lfo to this one so if anybody wants to share that info feel free

Cheers

Aus
Bazz Fuss, Red LLama, Harmonic Jerkulator, LoFo MoFo, NPN Boost, Bronx Cheer, AB Box, Dual Loop, Crash Sync

alcoloic

hi
is this vero layout still avalaible ?
cause i can't see it and i'm tryin to debug mine i made a long time ago with this layout
thanks

alcoloic

alcoloic

i made the nyquist aliaser using this layout and i simply love this effect (specially on bass) so i'd like to say thank you for the layout .
i also have two questions : is there a way to minimise the whinning of that fx ? mine whine even when bypassed and it's true bypass . how is that possible ?

alcoloic

this is really wierd mine is actually dead silent when the vero board is out of the enclosure but when it's in the enclosure it whine !
will i get a better result with a plastic enclosure ?

oldrocker

Mine is in a plastic enclosure and it's pretty quiet.  I'm not sure if it's because of the way it's laid out or not.  I also added the envelope follower circuit.

http://www.moosapotamus.net/IDEAS/nyquist/NyquistENV2.gif

swt

sometimes the whining might come through ground loops. Try adding a heavy wire between jacks and ps ground, or if you have them,  remove them. Also check the jacks, if they are not isolated, they have to be pretty tight, to get good ground. Check wires, try to avoid oscillator wires in parallel with signal wires. If they have to cross, do it at 90ยบ angles. last if nothing works, increased the series resistors to the digital ground and caps, and add a small cap directly to the 8 pin of the osc ic, something like 33 to 100n, to ps also, increased the ps cap too if necessary. Let me know the results.

m-theory