Spare Joystick --> Ideas needed.

Started by QSQCaito, February 07, 2007, 06:48:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QSQCaito

Well... I don't play PC games any longer, so today I saw my joystick there. As soon as I saw it, I started to (dun know the word :P) disassemble it?. I found some circuitry consisting of 3 transistors, couple of caps and resistors. Useless to me. But i found also one SPST, 6 momentary push buttons and two 100kB pot(not really 100k from 0-86k one 0-89k the other. And if you don't move the joystick they're around 40~50k)

And I really want to do something with it, but I don't have the least idea what that would be :P. It'd probably be something to make noise with, because I should have at least one hand in the joystick. And mabye the other one pushing buttons :D :p

Do you have any ideas/suggestions of what to do with it?

Thanks a lot

Bye Bye

DAC
D.A.C

phaseman

hmhmhm... old joystick  :icon_biggrin:  I bought a cheap 'something' (I don't play video games so I don't know the name of it :-\) for controlling the gas and breaks in car racing video games. I used those two pots (in my builds) that were there but the most useful thing was the rack wheel that I used for my wah  ;D.
Also, I bought a joystick. There were no parts I could use except 1 ceramic cap, 1 el cap, 2 carbon resistors, 3 momentary switches but didn't use them because of their construction. Actually, there was an IC, CA555C. It is a sort of
timer for timing delays but I don't know how to use it... Anyway, this is what I did with the enclosure http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w313/markoph/SSJOY.jpg

Now, it's my favourite phaser.
Here is view from the top   http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w313/markoph/smallstoneclonesmall.jpg

QSQCaito

That's cool! Nice work :D

Actually the joystick i have is old and it's muuch bigger, with a really complicated system to move the slide pots. But it works, and it's what matters :D

I would like to give a use to the joystick as it is, something making noise that would change while moving the joystick, something dynamic :D.. to have fun and make noises, but haven't found something yet  :-\

If someone else knows what to do with the joystick, please let me know :D8)

Thanks a lot

Bye bye

DAC
D.A.C

petemoore

use it on a distorter for Tc/Vc
 check AMZ BMP type tone control for the bigger value one, adjust values so it sounds good 'left alone'..use the 'other way' pot for the volume control.

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

QSQCaito

Thanks ;)

I was just wondering, how would it work with an atari punk console?
D.A.C

Rectangular

QSQ: thats exactly what I was gonna recommend, those old joysticks are perfectly suited for something small and two-pot based like an APC. of course, you can always sell the joystick to  me :) I buy a lot of those

-rec

QSQCaito

Do you wanna pay shipping from Argentina to whereever are you, i have no problema then  :P :P

So, you believe that an APC will provide enough fun to move the joystick all around?
D.A.C

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Quote from: QSQCaito on February 07, 2007, 11:13:28 PM
So, you believe that an APC will provide enough fun to move the joystick all around?

Yes. And, use the fire button to turn on & off.

QSQCaito

Quote from: Paul Perry (Frostwave) on February 08, 2007, 02:21:02 AM
Quote from: QSQCaito on February 07, 2007, 11:13:28 PM

Yes. And, use the fire button to turn on & off.

I've encountered a problem. APC pots are 500k, and the ones in my joystick are 100k. I know I cane "make them" 500k, but they'll move from 400k~500k  right??

Thanks,

Bye Bye

DAC
D.A.C

Processaurus

Quote from: RaceDriver205 on February 08, 2007, 02:38:33 AM
Quotehttp://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w313/markoph/smallstoneclonesmall.jpg
Dude, way cool.

Very cool, wow.

There's this product  that got me interested in using those kind of analog joysticks for table top effects.

QSQCaito

That's awesome procesaurus, but haven't find anything similar to build.

I'm actualyl aiming to the APC, but dont know how to make the 100k por, 500k pots

bye bye

DAC
D.A.C

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

I expect you could just build the APC usig 100K pots and make c1 and c2 about 5 times larger to compensate.

Disclaimer: I have imagined it, I havn't done it!

QSQCaito

It would for sure be a nice idea to breadboard and try, i'll soon post an APC schematic and we'll talk more precisely.
D.A.C