Is there any thing I can build out of these random components?

Started by Duggyrocks, February 10, 2007, 07:59:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duggyrocks

So, it could be a few weeks before I can scrape up the money for a ross compressor kit, and I want something to keeep me occupied until then. I have all the soldering equipment, and below are some of the things I can work with.

Above is a broken chromatic tuner, it has a few leds (although these probably won't come in usful with a pedal as this runs on aaa's) a stereo jack and a few capacitors.

Above is the first part of a dano fab overdrive, that has 2 pots, some caps and other stuff.

^This is the second part of the fab, is has a few caps etc, and 2 jacks.

Here are the 2 tone controls of my old broken strat copy I never use. I could also nick the other stuff out of the strat too if I really needed them.

Lastly, a few random components. A jack (not sure if it's stereo or mono  ::)) , battery snap, blue led and an 8ohm  1/2 watt speaker.

So, any ideas for a junk circuit  :icon_lol:

KerryF

Im sure you could do a Ruby or Little Gem amp since you have the speaker and some pots and stuff.  But you will need to buy a few things probably.

Jaicen_solo

I'd suggest that you try your hand at some surface mount soldering. You could knock up a DS1 type distortion and mount it to the back of one of those guitar pots. Then you could mount the whole thing in one of your guitars, or add it as a second channel to an existing stompbox.

Seljer

but all that surface mount stuff is a royal pain to use in most hobby-related things

you can save the jacks, pots, the wire and some of the larger capacitors if you want
and you can't really make up much out of that :/

Duggyrocks

Upon rumaging through my little brother's old toys, I found a few remote control cars, which when opened, had resistors and capacitors galore! I'm still opnening up all the old toys I can find!

Seljer

I once built a Bazz Fuzz http://www.home-wrecker.com/bazz.html with stuff i scavanged out an old mouse and a couple of other things, awesome sound for a very very simple circuit

a simple single-transistor booster/fuzz should also be possible

Hanglow

I recently opened up an old vcr I had in my loft and found loads of trimpots, film caps, diodes and the like.

Fuzz's are really simple as has allready been mentioned

Meanderthal

That dano overdrive is screaming(heh) for a new enclosure.
I am not responsible for your imagination.

Duggyrocks

Meanderthal

That's a shame. Overdrives don't get much better sounding. Seriously.

Not much to lose if ya don't like em though, so frankenstein away!

jonathan perez

no longer the battle of midway...(i left that band)...

i hate signatures with gear lists/crap for sale....

i am a wah pervert...ask away...

Duggyrocks

Whats all the love towards fabs about lol, I much prefer my bad monkey  :).

Meanderthal

QuoteWhats all the love towards fabs about

Ears. We hear what those pedals do, compared to... oh... hundreds of others. Regardless of price.

No big deal, whatever floats yer boat. Taste is strictly subjective and based on... anything. People like... whatever it is that they like.

markm