Glue guns and BSIAB

Started by Indoor Fireworks, February 10, 2007, 06:24:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Indoor Fireworks

I just finished my BSIAB and I've got a mean buzzing sound. Everything functions properly, all the pots work correctly and so does the switch. The only problem is that it buzzes really loudly when the effect is turned on. I'm trying to figure out what I did wrong but I can't really find anything.

I was wondering if the problem might be my choice of glue. When I drilled the holes in the PCB for the stand-offs, I made the holes a little too wide. The standoffs fit, but they were a little loose so I glue gunned them to make sure the board wouldn't fall. Is it possible that the glue might be causing the pedal to buzz if it made contact with any of the connections or components?

I know I'm supposed to submit more info about the pedal but I don't have a meter to test this stuff. I hope this is just a simple problem but, if it isn't, I'll go buy a meter to test it and hopefully I'll be able to figure out whats wrong.

Victor

Maybe a bad solder joint? Any "crackles" associated in the sound?

I don't believe that the glue (isolant) can cause this.....

"I don't know if my mom had sex with Ted Nugent, but I feel like his son......" - Zakk Wylde

jonathan perez

no longer the battle of midway...(i left that band)...

i hate signatures with gear lists/crap for sale....

i am a wah pervert...ask away...

Indoor Fireworks

Hmm, no crackle. I wasn't sure if glue conducted. I guess I'll have to tear off the standoffs so I can get the board out and see what I did wrong.

JonFrum

It could be a bad ground somewhere.

Indoor Fireworks

Come to think of it, it does sound like a bad ground. Any recommendations on how to check if that is the problem?

boyersdad

With no meter, you may try connecting a cliplead to battery - and with the other end short out all the ground traces and tips of components on the board, and if the hum goes away, you have found a bad ground.

Someone else will probably have a better idea, but that should work.
I like amps etc.

Indoor Fireworks

boyersdad, did you get my message?

Indoor Fireworks

Quote from: boyersdad on February 12, 2007, 07:29:44 PM
With no meter, you may try connecting a cliplead to battery - and with the other end short out all the ground traces and tips of components on the board, and if the hum goes away, you have found a bad ground.

Can anyone explain how exactly I can do this? Sorry, I'm a novice with electronics.

96ecss

Quote from: Indoor Fireworks on February 16, 2007, 02:53:49 PM
Quote from: boyersdad on February 12, 2007, 07:29:44 PM

Can anyone explain how exactly I can do this? Sorry, I'm a novice with electronics.

Hi,

Take a piece of wire, strip it bare on both ends. Make sure it is long enough to reach from your battery to all ground points in your pedal. Touch one end to the negative battery tip and one at a time touch it to all of your ground points on your pedal. Touch it to your jacks, and the ground strip on the pcb and all other ground points. What you're doing is re-grounding all of your ground points. If you touch a point and the hum goes away, you found your bad ground. I hope this helps.

Dave

Indoor Fireworks

oooooh, I get it. Alright, I'll give it a shot and see how it goes. Thanks!

Indoor Fireworks

wampcat1

I'm thinking the audio probe will be your best friend in this instance.  :icon_biggrin:

96ecss

I agree with Brian, it's time for the audio probe.

Indoor Fireworks

Alright, so let me get this right...

I take a 1/4 inch cable, cut off one end, connect an alligator clip to the negative lead and clip it to ground on the pedal, and connect a .1 uf cap to the positive lead on the cable. After I plug my power supply into my pedal, what do I do? Do I just touch each point that I soldered with the other end of the capacitor? I'm confused.

joegagan

I thought he was saying the pedal itself was physically buzzing.
That would have been a first.

anyway, check for bad soldering possibly at a ground. the old standby, move everything and gently twist the board etc while listening closely.
poke around with a small non-conductive poker while listening
my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

John Lyons

You want to probe the points where sound should go in and come out. The gates and drains of the FETs, coupling caps...
The main places where you will not hear sound are the points to ground.
Start at the input and go along left to right as on the schematic.
It's going to be a bit hard to know where to check since it seems like you are usure of where things are and what they should be doing.
You will learn a lot if you keep plugging away.

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/