spirit n the sky fuz pt.47 (response to sody54)

Started by joegagan, February 11, 2007, 01:05:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joegagan

hi, I know this has been discussed to infinity before, but internet fact seems to be that Norm Greenbaum's fuzz was built into his guitar by his tech.  (tele? - 335?)

I also feel that a lot of that tone was his amp and a really great room it was recorded in. does anyone else think they can hear the room reverberating in that track?

I think that a Sam Ash fuzz would get you pretty close to that tone, based on similar tones on "draggin the line" tommy james. that track was recorded using a sam ash fuzz played by my friend pete scaltrito. I have seen the actual pedal - he offered to let me check it out inside!
my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

markm

Quote from: joegagan on February 11, 2007, 01:05:17 PM
I have seen the actual pedal - he offered to let me check it out inside!

Well......! 
Did ya ???

joegagan

no, but it would be really fun to trace it out and see if it compares to the schem that's been on the net forever. I will make thime to do it and post here!
my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

markm

Tell ya Joe,
I'd be interested to see if it matches up.
That'd be very cool indeed!  8)

tcobretti

blanik

i just sent him an e-mail for fun, here's his reply...  :icon_eek:

"Thanks for writing.
I had a custom built fuzz box. Many rumors have circulated around the internet, including the slit speaker, but not true.

Norman Greenbaum"

The Tone God

This topic was hashed out on another forum I was on. Someone contacted Norman about it and he responded that it was a fuzz but didn't go into much more detail then that.

Andrew

blanik

well, he mentioned a custom built Fuzz, it was around 68-69 so i guess it must have been a common Germanium Fuzz... sounds like he had a low battery or stab pot on his (according to the "edge of breaking" sound...)

R.

g3rmanium

Quote from: The Tone God on February 11, 2007, 06:47:43 PM
Someone contacted Norman about it and he responded that it was a fuzz but didn't go into much more detail then that.

Guess he must have been asked the same question before.  :icon_wink:
Call me Johann.

Doug_H

How you doing, Joe?

IMO I agree that much of the "magic" in the guitar sound in that song has to do with the recording itself. There is a reverberation and EQ that adds a lot to it. If you listen closely and focus on the distortion itself, it's really a pretty crappy sounding fuzz. Shouldn't be brain surgery to get that distortion sound in and of itself. We've got crappy fuzz circuits out the wazoo here.;-);-)

I think that in a lot of these sounds we know and love, the distortion is just a small piece of a much bigger picture. Poor analogy probably, but you can't recreate the feeling of the Mona Lisa by just meticulously duplicating her nose.

YMMV of course.

DDD

Too old to rock'n'roll, too young to die

Meanderthal

That's the kinda fuzz I file under a mental category - psycho tuba.(whatever, makes sense to me...) 
My  Brassmaster clone has a horrible blatty misbiased sound a lot like that on guitar. Just add reverb, cut some high end and there it is. Seriously.

On bass it's a total funk monster!
I am not responsible for your imagination.

Doug_H

"Psycho tuba" makes me think of "The Rapper" by the Jaggerz. That's an overpowering fuzz...

Meanderthal

I am not responsible for your imagination.

doug deeper

ive had good luck getting this sound with the fy-2 circuit minus the scoop filter... i also eq'd it like the fuzzrite.
(.002 output caps .05 input, on each stage)

Sody54

Thanks for all the input folks.  I think I'm going to try playing around with a Fuzzrite and see what I come up with. 

Brian

brett

Hi
yeah, my Fuzzrite is kinda like that (brassy trombone), but maybe not as "blatty" and gated.  The Fuzzrite and the FZ1s have a common principle to them - cut lots of bass.  IIRC the fc of a Fuzzrite is about 150 Hz.  That's about two and a bit octaves higher than the fc of a fuzzface.

Actually, I've built two Fuzzrites.  The one with low hFE power transistors (BD139s, hFE = 150) was lots better (ie had a more vintage tone) than the one with high hFE transistors (300). 

PS I've got a non-working headphone amp based on a Ruby that gives everything a very fuzzy, heavily gated sound.  If I work out the cause I'll post it.  (Just now I'd gues it's either badly biased JFET, perhaps a J201 with a 1k source resistor.  Or an IC socket where I've only soldered some of the pins to the tracks.)
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

R.G.

Oddly enough, Craig Anderton's "Optimum Fuzz Adapter" gives the heavy, gated sound right out of the box. It's a 741 opamp set up as a comparator. If the signal is big enough to trip the signal over, it's fully saturated. No intermediate tones or rolling back the volume knob to clean it up. 100% fuzz, all the time. And it's easy to breadboard.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Doug_H

Quote from: R.G. on February 13, 2007, 08:59:01 AM
Oddly enough, Craig Anderton's "Optimum Fuzz Adapter" gives the heavy, gated sound right out of the box. It's a 741 opamp set up as a comparator. If the signal is big enough to trip the signal over, it's fully saturated. No intermediate tones or rolling back the volume knob to clean it up. 100% fuzz, all the time. And it's easy to breadboard.

That's the first fuzz I ever built, back in 1974.

Ben N

Isn't there a gated fuzz in EPFM (Ultra-Fuzz, or Uber-Fuzz or something)? Is that the same thing?
  • SUPPORTER