spirit n the sky fuz pt.47 (response to sody54)

Started by joegagan, February 11, 2007, 01:05:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldschoolanalog

Quote from: Ben N on February 13, 2007, 09:53:26 AM
Isn't there a gated fuzz in EPFM (Ultra-Fuzz, or Uber-Fuzz or something)? Is that the same thing?
Ultra Fuzz. Uber EZ build. Real "in your face" sound.  :icon_cool:
Mystery lounge. No tables, chairs or waiters here. In fact, we're all quite alone.

petemoore

Assuming the song is in the key of A, when the low A string is struck a bit of 'sag or whatever throws the Fuzz over...
  Sounds like a simple enough Fuzz Circuit, but it also sounds like a 'speaker cone'..a 'loosely' suspended and responsive one, it's kinetic energy reversals having a part in the 'sag' sound...something or things are causeing the 'dwarrnt' attack sound of the low notes of the chord to be different than the 'don' attack sounds of the slightly higher pitched/slightly lower amplitude notes..there's one of these 'edge' type things I keep rambling about, this ones cool.
  If it's not a simple Fuzz Circuit, it's probably one of those w/comp or something too...it sounds like something not terribly complicated in the effect circuit dept, interacting with a loaded amp, 'looser' sprung/responsive speaker.
  Kind of like two sounds, first is basic Fuzz, the second happens consistantly [in this recording] when the low notes 'break over' and cause the harder clipping, amp to sag, speaker to 'wharf out' [gets to whippin nearer it's limits], cool stuff, works very well...particularly with that type of riff, move it up to it's 4th or 5th [riff @ higher pitch] and maybe not so much.
  For something to try in a box, the Punisher shoe fits, and can be made/modified to dip on low notes, I was getting nice voltage dip curves by having it loaded down and bigger 'fill/empty' caps on the output, V+ dipping the PS's...the punishment ended for some reason-I-dunno, I haven't even checked on him since then.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

blanik

Quote from: petemoore on February 13, 2007, 10:50:38 AM
Assuming the song is in the key of A, when the low A string is struck a bit of 'sag or whatever throws the Fuzz over...
  Sounds like a simple enough Fuzz Circuit, but it also sounds like a 'speaker cone'..a 'loosely' suspended and responsive one, it's kinetic energy reversals having a part in the 'sag' sound...something or things are causeing

it's called finger picking!  ;) a lot of guitarist of that area were finger picking... i guess they learned from country and blues player... listen carefuly to the song, i think it's obvious

for the speaker, according to NG it had nothing to do with it...

tcobretti

I haven't heard the song in years, but if memory serves the speaker is certainly an integral part of the sound.  I don't think the speaker is cut or anything, but I think the amp is cranked up all the way.  It reminds me a little of the classic Billy Gibbons fuzz sound.  Key to both is the sound of a speaker getting pushed too hard.  The difference is the fuzz they used.