straightening a warped enclosure lid?

Started by mdh, February 11, 2007, 08:45:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mdh

I have a Hammond 1590DD or similar (bought it from Steve awhile back, so it may be the Taiwanese copy). It's home to my Neutron, so I want it to be a nice home :) Unfortunately, it's warped at one corner, so that if three of the corners are screwed down, there is a gap of about 2mm at the fourth corner. There's a ding in the lid near that corner.

I suspect that the lid was damaged when it was cooling after casting, but I don't know what to do about it. My caveman instincts make me want to bang on it with a big hammer, but I'm concerned that it will break rather than bending. I also have no idea what effect heat would have on the problem, but I have a feeling that it would be easy to overheat it. The only means I have for heating is a small propane or MAPP gas torch.

Any ideas?

Meanderthal

I am not responsible for your imagination.

tcobretti

I personally would put it on a flat piece of cement and drive a car over it, but a vise would be more civilized if you have one.

markm

I had the same issue with the DD that I housed my AD3208 in.
All I did was screw it down tight and it's been fine.
I think they're all warped a bit although yours may have been worse than mine was perhaps.

sfr

Yeah, I've had that problem before as well - I just screwed down the lid a little bit at a time from each corner, rather than tightening one screw, going to the next, going to the next, etc.  The lid layed flat w/o problems if i did it this way.  If I started tightening one screw at a time, a corner would pop up, and it would always be the last corner I screwed down, regardless of which screws I started with or which orientation I positioned the lid in.
sent from my orbital space station.

mdh

With mine, it's always the same corner, and you can see the inflection point where the lid bends along the long edge adjacent to the problem corner. Trying to screw down each corner a little at a time just results in the bad corner popping up, with (further) damage to the threads in the box. I guess I'll try a vise, and if that doesn't work, I'll get more violent :icon_wink:

Ronsonic

If it is too badly bent to use in the normal way, then it should be replaced by the seller as a defective product.

Ron
http://ronbalesfx.blogspot.com
My Blog of FX, Gear and Amp Services and DIY Info