What Is On My Bearish Mind...

Started by smallbearelec, February 12, 2007, 09:44:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smallbearelec

I maintain a list of things that people have asked me to carry, and I refer to it from time-to-time for shopping ideas and marketing. The good news is that many of the products you asked for are now on the Stock List. But I keep thinking of "stuff" that I use that other people might want to buy.

I have started a section of the Stock List called Consummables, Supplies and Storage.

http://www.smallbearelec.com/Categories.bok?category=Consummables%2C+Supplies+And+Storage

I mean this to contain the variety of things that we are otherwise running out to the hardware store for, or, worse, raiding the kitchen and medicine chest and driving our wives and girlfriends crazy (You TOOK MY Q-TIPS???!!!)

As usual for my store, some new items will be commonplaces that are just there for convenience, and others will be specialty products that would be otherwise hard-to-find. Someone had asked me to find cardboard storage/shipping boxes for standard pedals, and bubble bags for packing, so I started with those. More to come, eventually including storage boxes and drawers for components. It will take a little while, because some of it has to come from overseas to keep it competitively priced.

New Products:

The small warehouse that I now work out of is beginning to get a little cramped, and I will probably expand into a rented locker later this year. As I manage that, I will add:

1% resistors
WIMA Capacitors
Resistor kits
More sizes of colored boxes
MORE KNOBS!!

The next boat from China will be in about second week in March with some of this. Thank you for your orders, and for letting us know what you want us to have in the Cave!

SD

calculating_infinity

Yes!!!  WIMA caps and 1% resistors!  Will prices for these be competitive with mouser?  I assume so and if it is I will probably end up buying a bunch from you.  Viva la smallbear!  I've only had good experiences with smallbear.  Keep up the GREAT work!!! 

-Jonathan

KerryF

Resistor kits meaning sets of multiple values of resistors?  Great!

More knobs?  Great!  ;)

rockgardenlove

How about some 1/8 watt resistors.
They're so cheap!   ;D
Other stuff that might be nice:
Epoxy-good for general junk, especially battery holders.
Heat lamp bulbs and a clamp on socket?  Shipping might be a problem, but these work GREAT for heating acid.
Those nylon wire ties-great for organizing junk inside a box.
But most of all---
A reusable template for the Taiwanese boxes!  Maybe this is just me, but I DESPISE drilling.  A good sturdily manufactured template that fit the box well would be great.  I'd totally buy one.

Velcro to slap on the bottom for those of us with pedalboards
Grease for the wah pedals-not super important, but would be nice
Cutting oil for the drill bits?

Just some ideas.  I realize it's a bit much, but hey.  Might as well give it a shot, eh?

;D

KerryF

What about some of those small baggies that you send your components in?  Maybe some Antistatic bags (the silver kind).  I have a bunch of these though.

dachshund

I hate drilling, too. Last year someone was selling pre-drilled, powder coated enclosures. I'd buy a few.
Thanks for asking :)

smallbearelec

Quote from: call1800ksmyazz on February 12, 2007, 10:11:47 PM
What about some of those small baggies that you send your components in?

Damn! Jewel bags! I knew there things I already carry that should be on there and hadn't occurred to me. That's easy...will set up a drop-down for the sizes I stock. THANKS!

jonathan perez

polystyrene caps and 1/8 watt resistors...and youd have my business every month.
no longer the battle of midway...(i left that band)...

i hate signatures with gear lists/crap for sale....

i am a wah pervert...ask away...

KerryF

Quote from: smallbearelec on February 12, 2007, 10:29:12 PM
Quote from: call1800ksmyazz on February 12, 2007, 10:11:47 PM
What about some of those small baggies that you send your components in?

Damn! Jewel bags! I knew there things I already carry that should be on there and hadn't occurred to me. That's easy...will set up a drop-down for the sizes I stock. THANKS!

Thank you!  haha im sure many people want these, and you already carry em.  Nice.  ;)

John Lyons

Thin nickel plated washers for stompswitches!!!!!!!!! The Nylon white jobbie is very tacky.

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

Processaurus

Is there a decent quality clone of the compact right angle switchcraft 1/4" plug?  That would be hot.

Thanks for adding the Schottkey power diodes Steve, I use those in every pedal for polarity protection.

vanessa

Normal sized 1M Reverse Audio CTS pots? I think they're the 24mm.

Ronsonic

Quote from: Basicaudio on February 12, 2007, 11:28:54 PM
Thin nickel plated washers for stompswitches!!!!!!!!! The Nylon white jobbie is very tacky.

John

What's nice is the combination of metal washer over the nylon. I do that on my jacks and stomps. I've run out of my stompswitch sized ones.

Metal washers sized for mini toggles and lock washers for the 8mm bushing on Alpha pots are all nice things.

Ron
http://ronbalesfx.blogspot.com
My Blog of FX, Gear and Amp Services and DIY Info

sfr

Working on a project, thought of one thing I would love - slightly taller standoffs.  I haven't ordered the 3/8" ones yet, but measuring on the project I'm working on, I don't think they'd quite clear the regular 16mm alpha pots - I often times have the board hovering over the pots, mounted to standoffs.  I know this doesn't always work in every enclosure, but when it does, it's helpful.  (Although, I could be mistaken, perhaps the 3/8" ones would clear?  Doesn't seem like they would.)
sent from my orbital space station.

RaceDriver205

Kits!
Seriously, I reckon you could reel in heaps more money if you sold kits of common/favourite effects pedals. Im sure there are lots of people who would like to make their own, but don't want to be messed with drilling and etching and debugging their perf.
Other electronics stores sell lots of different kits. I think it would be a good buisiness move to do similar!  ;)
I mean, you've got the boxes, switches and parts. Tonepad/GGG could provide the boards. $$$!

tjcombs

Pedals Built - MXR Dist + / WY Harmonics Booster preamp / Rebote 2.5 / Ruby / Rangemaster
Next Project - Some sort of tube amp or mic preamp maybe?????
www.myspace.com/glorynights

Ben N

Shhh.... some of us are trying to hibernate!
  • SUPPORTER

AdamB

QuoteA reusable template for the Taiwanese boxes!  Maybe this is just me, but I DESPISE drilling.  A good sturdily manufactured template that fit the box well would be great.  I'd totally buy one.

Yes! Anything to get rid of drilling whenever possible as I hate drilling too. I am using pedalpartsplus now as they provide painted, drilled enclosures. What I need it something to make it easier for when I have to drill my own due to not using the standard 1/2/3 knob layouts, like if I need to add a switch or something.
[indifferent::engine]
http://www.indifferentengine.com

BDuguay

Howsabout right angle barrel connectors?
I say howsabout some right angle barrel connectors?
B.

mountainking

Quote from: Basicaudio on February 12, 2007, 11:28:54 PM

John

I second that. I actually ment to ask Steve about getting them the last time I placed an ordered but forgot.