just completed my 1st build!!!!!

Started by spiderman2812, February 13, 2007, 02:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spiderman2812

I just completed my first pedal the bsiab2 and wow what a pedal it is!! I've been playing with an ibanez ts-808 reissue with an analogman mod and also a foxrox zim with 2 t.v. cards in it and i must say the bsiab2 is now one of my faves especially cascaded into the 808!!! I guess this means i'm officially hooked on diy!! Can't wait to build another!! Any reccomendations?? :icon_lol:

solarplexus

Build the vintage vox wah with the new vero layout... or not... you decide!   :icon_biggrin:
DIY Poser.

Hanglow

Hi - I've only done a few builds so am a noob as well at this. I built an Orange Squeezer, Bluesbreaker, TS808 with keeley mods, those were pcbs from GGG. I would recommend all of them, the orange squeezer is real nice and simple to build too. From this place I have built an si mosrite fuzzrite on stripboard - real easy as well. I would try a fuzz or similar if you want to try stripboard/vero - they are simple so are great to start on. Or a booster like the stratoblaster or cream pie (which I have half built) are also just as simple.

Mark Hammer

Quote from: spiderman2812 on February 13, 2007, 02:33:38 PM
Any recommendations?? :icon_lol:
Congrats.  Good feeling, eh?
To answer your question, what are you in the mood for most?:
- a quick success?
- a money saver?
- something new you've never played before?
- something where you learn a lot of basic concepts via mod choices
- something to make better use of your other pedals?
- a trip through vintage memory lane instead of pissing aways $hundreds$ on e-bay?

Just as importantly, what construction technique/s are you presently up for (strip-board, perf, PCB), what sort of parts inventory do you presently have, and how confident are you of your troubleshooting abilities?

Answering all of that can help to identify a rewarding second project.

Auke Haarsma

I think you'd like a Rebote Delay (Tonepad). It's a bit more advanced, but not difficult. And you get awesome delay sounds!

Auke Haarsma

oh, and ofcourse...CONGRATS on your first build!

oldrocker

I haven't built one but the Dr. Boogey is supposed to sound great.  Or email Doug H.  and see if he'll send you the schem for a Hwy89.  The perf layout is on www.home-wrecker.com.  Or an easy but a goodie is the Voodoo Lab OD pedal but kicks ass.  A Rat is cool too.

96ecss

Hi and congrats on your first build! Once you build one pedal, it's impossible to stop. It's a great addiction. 

Here is my 2 cents worth. If you like cascading the BSIAB into your 808, then I bet you'll love cascading it into a Mini Booster. The Mini Booster was my first build and the BSIAB2 was my second. I love the two of them together. The Mini Booster is very easy to build. There are layouts in the gallery for it or you could buy a pcb direct from its creator Jack Orman - AMZ www.muzique.com.

Dave

phaseman

CONGRATS! Yes, you're probably already hooked to diy  ;)!
I myself love modulation efects and my second build was phase 90. I could not wait to finish it and play with it, especially because
I've never used one before I had my own. Welcome to diy world!!

spiderman2812

Thanks to everyone for their input and encouragement!!! You know you're hooked when you own all kinds of custom made pedals and you're considering selling them to get more diy stuff!!!!

MartyMart

Well done, getting a BSIAB II working as a first projet was V cool :D
Have a good think about what you "need" rather than "want" if you get
my drift?
Here's an idea, for a good booster with some 'grit" go for either a dragonfly
sparkle boost or Mark Hammers "The crank"
One of these up front of your BSIAB II will "kick" nicely !!

MM.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

markm

Congratulations and welcome!!

Quote from: spiderman2812 on February 14, 2007, 06:44:04 AM
and you're considering selling them to get more diy stuff!!!!

Uh oh!  :icon_lol:

MartyMart

Yeah, you'll soon find that your "G.A.S" addiction becomes a "D.I.Y" addiction !!!
That "Discombumbulator 2155 Booteek Overdrive" will start to sound a bit "lame"  :D :D

MM.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

spiderman2812

That's a good one discombobulator booteek!!! LOL!!!!

spiderman2812

I do need a nice compressor. Can't decide over the ross or the orange squeeze! I also have been saving alot of layouts and stuff that i think would be neat to build. I'm also thinking it might be cool to take either a fuzz or a nice booster and put one of them or both in the same box as a nice od. But i think i need a compressor 1st.

mattpocket

I have looked into comp's too, and I thought that the ross or dynacomp would be better than the orange squeezer as it offers more adjustment, and the orange squeezer is supposed to be more mild and geared towards a "vintage" type tone, rather than a harsh ultra-compressed metal tone. Thats what I'd say anyway, from the information I've read and the questions I've asked.

Matt
Built: LofoMofo, Dist+, Active AB Box, GGG 4 Channel Mixer, ROG Omega
On the Bench:Random Number Generator, ROG Multi-face, Speak & Spell
--------------------------------------------
My Pop-Punk Band - www.myspace.com/stashpocket

markm

spiderman2812

Hey mark i noticed you used a 39k instead of the 41.2k resistor for r 19 in the saffron squeeze. What difference did this make in the build?