Crybaby Q Mod Problems

Started by Noplasticrobots, February 15, 2007, 08:55:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noplasticrobots

Hi folks, I added a B100k pot in series with the 33k resistor on my GCB95 Crybaby to use as a Q control. I can hear no differences when the pot is rotated. I've heard about cutting traces, is this necessary? Does it matter what side of the circuit the 33k is lifted?
I love the smell of solder in the morning.

liakos

which lugs of the pot did you wire?

Noplasticrobots

I have the pot hooked to the board with clips and one end of the 33k lifted. The lifted end of the 33k has a clip from the resistor to the wiper and the outside lug of the pot is clipped to where the other end of the resistor would normally be.
I love the smell of solder in the morning.

alderbody

Do you still get a Wahwah_ing effect at any position of the 100K pot's wiper, or not any Wah sound at all?

If not, the resistor or the pot could be "broken" and effectively the circuit "sees" no Q resistor.

If you still get a wahwah_ing, then it's very strange.
In that case, maybe the pot is 100Ohms and not 100K, so you don't change much as it rotates...

brunocbicalho

I'm having the same problem.... the sound doesn't change at all.... i don't know why, I'm certainly that i have did it right...

with a 50k log pot.... the sound don't change... only the noise of guitar... and only a bit..
???

I've tried with a resistor... nothing... with another pot... nothing....

the mod that I've made is:   50klog... lug 1 no connection... lug 2 (mid) on one side that the 33k resistor was... and lug 3 on the other side of the 33k resistor, having the 33k in series with the pot...

but......... no changes....

don't know what to do....

the cry baby is a gcb-95 dunlop

dimitris

Another one with a gcb95 wah and the same problem.
I have add a 50k liner pot in series with a 33k resistor.
With a multimeter i 'm getting from 33k to 82k,so it is wired correctly but there is no difference in sound.
Inductor and pot have been replaced with fulltones.
I guess it must be something with the gcb95 circuit.

Paul Marossy

That "q resistor" is there to actually lower the "q" of the circuit. Do you hear any difference with that resistor completely removed from the circuit?

jschwalls

i tried the pot for Q value but i ended up putting in a switch and switching between 47K and 100K.
Mainly because the other values were not that great sounding anyway. I love the 47 and 100 switch and it's alot easier to nail that classic wah sound.

JON

brunocbicalho

yeah.. well... i don't know why that happens...

if i get rid of the 33k and use only the pot... at lower values the wah don't appears.. just clean sound... from... say 20k to upper values there's wah but the sound stay the same

Paul Marossy

Maybe you should try using a bigger pot?

brunocbicalho

don't think that is something like that... i've tried higher values with resistors

jonathan perez

yeah, below 33k you get a pretty lame wah.

maybe the trained ear can tell the difference. if you could record 33k (resistor, not POT) and 100k, i could tell you whether or not youve got a working, healthy wah.
no longer the battle of midway...(i left that band)...

i hate signatures with gear lists/crap for sale....

i am a wah pervert...ask away...

brunocbicalho

Noplasticrobots said that with a 100k pot there's no difference.. too..

brunocbicalho

I've tried with a resistor too... say about 100k in series and just the resistor, no difference too

jonathan perez

well, you could possibly both have bad pots? wrong pot values? try A100k vs. B100k...make sure youve got the right resistor replaced with a pot, and right lugs connected. (1/2, or 3/2). there should be an audible difference between 100k and 33k. and its not too subtle, either.

100k in series with the pot? yeah, dont expect a difference.

try a switch, between 33k and 100k...DPDT mini will work dandy.
no longer the battle of midway...(i left that band)...

i hate signatures with gear lists/crap for sale....

i am a wah pervert...ask away...

Paul Marossy

Huh, this is kind of weird. Not at all doing what I would expect...  :icon_confused: