tape for a pot/resistor

Started by zerohero, February 17, 2007, 06:53:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zerohero

one of my teachers yesterday was saying he made a midi controller using tape as a voltage divider, with one end going to ground and wherever you "tapped" the tape it was like the wiper of a pot. does anyone know more about this and/or how to implement it?

Jose

joegagan

I suppose you could experiment with metal ( foil ) duct tape like they sell at home depot.

make a sandwich with nylon screen as the 'blocker'

bottom of sandwich is grounded (metal tape), top of sandwich metal tape connects to other end of whatever you are controlling
make the nylon screen with a triangular taper by lining the sides with black electrical tape so that different areas and different foot pressure will cause more or less conductivity to ground.
experiment with the thickness of nylon screen, size of triangle etc , test with ohmeter

my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

zerohero

ill give some things a try and ill post what i find, it may be more trouble than its worth..

thanks

Jose

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

There are quite a few formulations of VCR tape, and only one -if that! - that works.
Which is why people have such different experiences with these tape controllers.