Big Muff Stripboard (Vero) Layout?

Started by mattpocket, February 19, 2007, 04:04:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattpocket

Has anyone got any layouts for the big muff? I am pretty new to this, I have been mostly making my own layouts, but the big muff is pretty big and my layouts arent as compact as they could be... I've checked the layouts gallery and can only find PCB and perf layouts, is there not a compact (ish) layout for stripboard?

What is the difference (sound wise) between, stock, triangle, and russian, and any other variants I've missed?

Thanks

Matt
Built: LofoMofo, Dist+, Active AB Box, GGG 4 Channel Mixer, ROG Omega
On the Bench:Random Number Generator, ROG Multi-face, Speak & Spell
--------------------------------------------
My Pop-Punk Band - www.myspace.com/stashpocket

MartyMart

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

mattpocket

Thanks mate...

I checked out all of my usual suspects, andrew carrol etc... but to no avail...

It would help if people putting titles for their layouts were more descriptive to help the search facility...

Matt

MartyMart

No worries, I've built a couple from Torchy's layout so it's 100% verified too :D
You might want to check out Yun's mods for these, some quite cool changes !
I like 'em with a mix of 1uf's and 100n caps .....

MM
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

mattpocket

What kind of mods? Where are these located, they arent in his gallery?

Matt

daverdave

This was the last thing that I put together, I put a LPB boost after the muff like yun did and it sound evil!!
Very filthy, I'd definitely suggest trying it.

mattpocket

I have a friend who thinks he can use this as a distortion pedal (he uses a solid state amp) but I think it is better suited to the kind of garage/grunge sound rather than anything else. Or for use with lead riffs, not power chord rhythms?

Any thoughts?

tcobretti

If he want to sound Metal, the muff is not a great choice.   However, if he just wants a big think fuzzy guitar tone it will be good. I used one for years as my distortion in a punk band.

mattpocket

We do play in a punk band together, but it's by no means '77 punk, and we use high treble settings on our amps, play powerful fast riffs, with melodic lead cutting through (my friend who wants to use one of these plays the lead riffs)

Any more help/suggestions?

How is the OD250 for high treble and gain applications?

Matt

tcobretti

I think the muff would be good for melodic lead parts.  After a while I quit using the muff and used an octave fuzz.  So you might think about an Octavia.  They are certainly not a s complicated as a Big Muff.

The question is whether you want typical distorted guitar lead or do you want something different?

mattpocket

That is the main debate (not that there are two sides to it)...

We want to have a distinctive sound, so someone can say: yeah, that sounds like Stash Pocket (our band)

We already have a distinctive song structure and riff sound, we just want something to define it, and make it 100% ours. Does an octave fuzz actually put the guitar up/down an octave?

Matt

tcobretti

Yeah, it produces a higher octave that is mixed with the normal fuzz tone.  The key here is that most people want a more pronounced octave like Jimi, but if instead you just crank the gain up all the way you get a very weird fuzz.

This thread has clips of the Ampeg Scrambler which is one of my favorites.  (You certainly don't have to build it in to an expression pedal, that was an experiment of mine)
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=48637.0

This clip is of a Shinei copy of the Univox Superfuzz.
http://aronnelson.com/gallery/albums/album72/Les_Paul_Fender_Fuzz_1.mp3

Anyway, hopefully you get the idea.