2n5952 replacement for phase 45??

Started by Rafa, February 19, 2007, 06:11:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rafa

The guy from the electronics shop looked up in the a book and he said he couldnt find any replacement.
The ones I have are: bs170, mpf102 2n7000
Thanks
Rafa

markm

Well, if those are all you have you'd have to go with the MPF102 as they are the only JFET in the bunch.
I ended up using J201's in mine and it worked fine.
My favorite Phase circuit!  :)

R.G.

2N5485 is the closest US type.

2SK30A and 2SK118 might work if you can get Japanese parts.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

petemoore

Since there are only two..swap-a-diddle [with bias pot] can get a 45 phase sweeping.
  Might be a while, not only alot of transistors must possibly be tried [kind of like a combination lock with no numbers] to find the two that cause it to start sweeping...and you know about Jfet matching for phasers at GEO
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

jongwong

I have bulit a P-45 with 2n5952,but it seems no effect .The shound is clear still ???

Sweetalk

Rafa, use the MPF102 or the BF245, it's very cheap here, the MPF102 around $0,70 (pesos argentinos eh!!), buy a bunch, around 20...30 and use the JFET matcher. Maybe it's "better" to build the Phase 90 and make a stage switch to switch between the Phase 45 and Phase 90 sound. I build the Phase 90 and with 20 MPF102 got 2 pairs of 4 matched FET's (lucky me!), around 2v of Vgs(off).

thermionix

-

Mark Hammer

A while back, Steve Daniels sent me sixteen 2N5457 transistors, graded by Idss, Vp, and transconductance (like I know what any of that is!  :icon_rolleyes: ), to find out if they would provide acceptable substitutes for Phase 90 clones.  They covered a broad range of values along those parameters.  I used various sets of 4 that were close to each other in those specs, plugged them into sockets normally used for 2N5952s in a functioning P90 clone, tweaked the bias appropriately, and found that they all provided very musical-sounding phasing.

So, if you can't get 2N5952s, the 2N5457 (a fairy common JFET) is a decent substitute.