String Damper Build Report

Started by RaceDriver205, February 20, 2007, 08:52:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RaceDriver205

I just thought I would report on my now completed string damper.

Yes it works. No it doesn't make things easy for you. It appears at first to be dumb, and never swells a note no matter how hard you try. However, you quickly work out how to sound the notes so that it does swell them.
The effect swells the note, and then cuts it off. I don't know if its possible to stop the cut-off. Im guessing it does this for a backwards sort of effect.

In conclusion, the effect is OK. Its not awesome, but it is OK.

Processaurus

I tried this one too, a few years ago.  I remember liking the fast decay sounds better than the slow attack sounds, but I kinda played around with it for 10 minutes and forgot about it.  Do you have a compressor to try with it? would that make it trigger better?

RaceDriver205

I did it with distortion, but I haven't tried with a compressor. For now, it goes into the box and stays there until everything else is finished.

Processaurus

Quote from: RaceDriver205 on February 20, 2007, 11:38:51 PM
For now, it goes into the box and stays there until everything else is finished.

Spending a night in the box, eh? for me it isn't done til it sounds good, though a most circuits never get all the way "done".  Like the EA trem, I'd say the design wasn't finished til a year ago when Transmogrifox fixed the depth issue...  Who knows, maybe someone with chops can address this one's inadequacies.  I'd like to compare this to Dan Armstrong's "articulator" patent application (schematic sans component values) sometime, same idea, also implemented with an OTA.

RaceDriver205

Yeah well. I don't have the time or interest to fiddle. It does as it promised, so it gets a tick on the layout and goes on the pile ;)
Having heard digital attack delays, this is an effect for digital anyway. In addition to that, I have a microsynth and sg1

markphaser

What kind of electronic circuit does this string damper?

is it a slow gear with a gate?

RaceDriver205

QuoteWhat kind of electronic circuit does this string damper?

is it a slow gear with a gate?
What kind of electronic circuit is this string damper.
It is like the Slow gear, but it cuts the note off after is has swelled.

markphaser

It is like the Slow gear, but it cuts the note off after is has swelled.

How does it cut the note off using what please?

RaceDriver205

I have no idea. You might want to search for the schematic.