Guitar Wiring.

Started by QSQCaito, February 21, 2007, 10:10:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QSQCaito

Hi guys! I'm changing my guitar pickup wiring :D

But I have a doubt.

Im going to do this:

But I need it to be like this:

Middle pickup has to be there beacuse it's the reverse wired with reverse polarity (RWRP) pickup.

And as I see, i think, both diagrams are different. What should be the order of the pickups in the first diagram, so it looks as it's in the second one??

I have tried but had some doubts. If I had to guess I think I would say mid neck bri, but not sure  :-\

Any help is trully appreciated ;)

bye bye!

8)

DAC
D.A.C

QSQCaito

Forgot to add, the DPDT in the first diagram is omitted on purpose on the second, is to make te pickup out of phase.
D.A.C

Meanderthal

The top diagram is correct and complete. It has the pickups in proper order, and takes advantage of the fact that the middle pickup is reverse polarity by using the series/paralell switch as if the neck and middle pickups were a humbucker. The bridge pickup is run through a phase switch so it can be either in or out of phase with the other 2 pickups. It will still act as a humbucker when combined with the middle pickup. It's a cool way to wire a strat- very versatile.
The 2nd diagram... I'm not sure what you have in mind?
I am not responsible for your imagination.

QSQCaito

Thanks Meanderhal :D:D
Ok, first of all. Here's the website: http://www.1728.com/guitar2.htm

The problem is the following: The diagram is as shown in the first picture. But the pickup order should be as the second picture. I don't know if you get it  :-\ Sry, english not my native language  :P

The pickup order should be as the second. And I followed the order, and it doesn't match in both diagrams. So, the question is: which should be the order of the pickups in the first diagram, for it to match the order in the second one.

PS I hope not making a complication of something simple.

EDIT: "In order to maximize the humbucking possibilities, the pickup that is reverse wired with reverse polarity (RWRP)should be on the "left" side of the circuit. In this way we could get neck and bridge (series and parallel), and middle and bridge (series and parallel) and all four would be humbucking.
As you can see this circuit is quite "flexible" in accomadating the kinds of switching that you want. "
D.A.C

Meanderthal

Oh, I get it now... they mean to wire up pickup terminal 4 to switch terminal 2, pickup terminal 3 to switch terminal 1, pickup terminal 2 to switch terminal 4, pickup terminal 1 to switch terminal 3. They just said it in a kinda confusing way.

QSQCaito

Thanks a lot MeanDerthal. So, to make it easier.. I should switch positions of neck and middle pickups, right? In that way the middle pickup would be "at the left side of the circuit(figure 2)", right?

Thanks a lot, once again. I hope doesn't bother:-/

bye bye

thanks

DAC
D.A.C

Meanderthal

I would only switch the wiring, not the actual position of the pickups. Then again, it won't really matter, it's not as if you're using a stock 5 position switch...

QSQCaito

Ok, thanks a lot once again. You saved my day :D

One question, the pickup is the same if i put it in one position, or turn it 180°? Is there a part of the pickp for the high E, and a specific for the low E strings?
D.A.C

Gila_Crisis

this make me think about an idea i had, a guitar with 3 single coil and:
- one 3way switch for bridge and neck pu
- plus a on-on-on (or on-off-on) switch to add to the 3way the middle pu in serie or parallel

Meanderthal

QuoteOne question, the pickup is the same if i put it in one position, or turn it 180°? Is there a part of the pickp for the high E, and a specific for the low E strings?

I'd be careful to get em back the same orientation as stock. You want the magnetic polarities to be stock so combining with the middle pickup retains the humbucking capability.

QSQCaito

Ok, will there be a difference in sound if i put ALL 3 PU 180°? I have them labelled anyway, just curious. Any way of identifying how should they go?
D.A.C

Meanderthal

That depends on the pole pieces...

Usually the wire coming outta the pickup will be 'down', IE when the guitar is being played.

QSQCaito

Yup, I had them labelled and it's just as you said, i wouldn't imagine wire position would be useful to determine that :D thanks a lot..

When i'm done maybe i'll get some clips

Thanks a lot to all

bye bye

DAC
D.A.C

Chris Brown

i just switched (nopun) my main strat back from 3 dpdt to the 5way switch... I found a few more tones that I liked with what I had, but on stage I couldn't hang with it... i like how with a stock switch you can get to any position with one movement... multiple toggles didn't allow that.

Anyway... enjoy the mod... thought I'd chime in... btw my strat was wired [on - off - on dpdt] as [in phase - off - out of phase] for each pickup

Warm regards,
Chris Brown

wolf

Hi folks,
Just thought I'd say that I designed the guitar wiring diagram at the top of the page.
It seems some folks had questions about it?

Chris Brown
The 3 DPDT toggles circuit for phasing / pickup selection is not all that great. (which I guess you discovered).  As I said, that is John Atchley's design and even he was not too thrilled with it.  Have you ever tried 2 of the single coils (particularly the middle and bridge) in series?  You'd be surprised at the high output and it is great for distortion.