Lovetone clones - Wobulator, Doppelganger

Started by Shed_FX, February 22, 2007, 12:17:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaceSensor

Quote from: seedseed on March 16, 2011, 02:19:09 AM
I grapped the pictures and what information you put there hopefully i can have a good go at tracing this sucker out now the only thing i may need to ask what odd things are but keep posted iam tracing away. Hopefully it ends up correct i'll have to dig up the ole trusty resistor colour code

Excellent
There are a couple of resistors that look a bit funky - the ones with a simple black line on, and there is one near C11 that is a strange silvery colour, but other than that they all look normal, either beige or greeny in colour.
Most look like .25W but there are a couple bigger ones that might be .5W

thedefog

The ones with the single black line are jumpers.

LaceSensor

anyone managed to do any more work on this yet?

GodSaveMetal

LaceSensor

dont think thats going to happen
i dont have the skill or time to learn to do it right now, and i have hopefully provided all the info for someone to do it and its been a couple weeks and nothing has happened sadly.

charmonder

I'd like to give this thing a shot, with the available information seems like I could at least get a "work-alike" wobulator.

Can anyone explain the function of the transformers in the circuit? I know they are not the same values but  I have the two transformers from a kenstone  ring mod, http://www.cgs.synth.net/modules/cgsrr.html  can these be used? I believe the wobulator calls for OEP1200
successful transactions with forum members: bcalla, digi2t, and gutsofgold

JRC4558D

Quote from: charmonder on January 14, 2012, 04:18:19 PM
I'd like to give this thing a shot, with the available information seems like I could at least get a "work-alike" wobulator.

Can anyone explain the function of the transformers in the circuit? I know they are not the same values but  I have the two transformers from a kenstone  ring mod, http://www.cgs.synth.net/modules/cgsrr.html  can these be used? I believe the wobulator calls for OEP1200

as far as I know those transformers and the four diodes like in your web link, are part of a "ring modulator" wich is part of the Lovetone "Ring Stinger", not wobulator nor doppelganger. I hope this helps you.

cheers.
Clons I've made: EA Pulsar, Mu-Tron III, Lovetone Meatball, EA Big Muff PI (Germanium), Tone Bender Germanium Fuzz, EA LPB-2, ZVEX Wooly Mamooth. Mods I've done: EA Small Stone and Proco RAT.

JRC4558D

Quote from: Shed_FX on July 02, 2007, 08:25:06 AM
I landed another phot of the doppelganger today. It illustrates the trace side of the board so I could complete the layout. This is redrawn from the actual lovetone layout. However are there any issues with using this same layout on the clone? The String Ringer board is almost the same as the lovetone.

Basically I am asking should I change a few parts of it round to be on the safe side of things as I don't have previous experience of such things. I am going to make the board today and start working out a bill of materials. However i am still unable to identify values of all of the resistors or capacitors in the circuit so any additional information anyone can shed some light on would be great.

Thanks

Hi Tom,  have you sorted out you tick problem? Have you ever tried using a shielded clable for audio IN/OUT ? maybe is as simple as that... maybe not. Cheers
Clons I've made: EA Pulsar, Mu-Tron III, Lovetone Meatball, EA Big Muff PI (Germanium), Tone Bender Germanium Fuzz, EA LPB-2, ZVEX Wooly Mamooth. Mods I've done: EA Small Stone and Proco RAT.

JRC4558D

Quote from: LaceSensor on March 27, 2011, 12:29:23 PM
dont think thats going to happen
i dont have the skill or time to learn to do it right now, and i have hopefully provided all the info for someone to do it and its been a couple weeks and nothing has happened sadly.

Hi mate! I am on it, slowly...

I am on it since 3 years ago, I bought today from Holborn's Maplin store a big FR4 blank PCB to etching Doppelgangger's circuitboard, don't know when yet! :) but I'll do, I have pretty much every componet value as far as I remember, I am going to do 1999 V3 PCB, wich is the best I have and also the components list.

I'll put everything on line for sharing once I have it working properly. I guess you already have one fo those, is that right? Could you tell me the right measuring of yours, I mean the PCB measures, I have a good pic on my Photoshop but I have to reverse it and re-adjust it before printing to the right measure for transfer (blue peel and press), I could calculate that based on component's size but is easier and more accurate if you have one :).

If you can't don't worry.

Cheers.

LaceSensor

I have a PCB layout you can etch from. I did it already. But it doesnt sound good.
Either an error my end or component mismatch.

Anyway, if you want/need it let me know. Im travelling for work but will be back at home friday...

JRC4558D

Hi man,

That would be nice, I will compare yours with mine, if those PCB are the same I'll use your then.

I haven't written the BOM yet, but I'll do when mine is working just to avoid messing with wrong component values, then you could check if you have same values.

What did you use for opto-coupling, - led and cells - or - optocouplers - ?

I am almost sure that the ICs are TL072 and TL074 but until I have them installed and working I can't say those are the thing...

My email is on my profile, use it please for sending the layout. Thank you!

cheers!

GodSaveMetal

If somebody have a PCB with a layout of this pedal sounding better, :P please please post IT!!!! :icon_evil:

JRC4558D

Hi Roberto,

You'll have to wait until we get a working one unless you want to try by yourself. So keep yourself in tune and read carefully all the posts ;). So, paciencia amigo...

Cheers.

LaceSensor

Quote from: JRC4558D on July 31, 2012, 03:14:34 PM
Hi man,

That would be nice, I will compare yours with mine, if those PCB are the same I'll use your then.

I haven't written the BOM yet, but I'll do when mine is working just to avoid messing with wrong component values, then you could check if you have same values.

What did you use for opto-coupling, - led and cells - or - optocouplers - ?

I am almost sure that the ICs are TL072 and TL074 but until I have them installed and working I can't say those are the thing...

My email is on my profile, use it please for sending the layout. Thank you!

cheers!

I used TL074 and TL072

The pedal all "functions" as it should
- Phase switch (In or out of phase LFOs)
- Dual / Single LFO
( All the optocouplers respond to show this )
- slow switch and square wave LFO working

Only problem is it sounds not good...
And I have some wrong voltages on the Audio side TL074 quad opamp compared to my v4 DoppelGanger.

I have tried Green LEDs, Red LEDs with LDRs as well as silonex NSL-32s with the same results.
I think its just a problem with my build but I cant for the life of me spot it.

When I get the time and patience I will make another PCB
I had maybe one or two resitros I wasnt sure of due to wierd ones in the lovetone, but I measured resistances in circuit and did it like that.

I can make a BOM perhaps but I dont know all the part numbers, I havent created a schematic so it would just be positions on the PCB layout.

Good news is the PCB I created toner transfers ok for my use (with a cheap mono lazer printer).
Im sure between us we can get a Dopp clone rolling...

LaceSensor

Quote from: GodSaveMetal on July 31, 2012, 05:05:33 PM
If somebody have a PCB with a layout of this pedal sounding better, :P please please post IT!!!! :icon_evil:

Chill dude
These things take time
if you want it to go faster, buy a doppelganger and help us!  :P

GodSaveMetal

Quote from: LaceSensor on July 31, 2012, 06:47:33 PM
Quote from: GodSaveMetal on July 31, 2012, 05:05:33 PM

Chill dude
These things take time
if you want it to go faster, buy a doppelganger and help us!  :P
IN MY country WOBULATOR what?????????????? they don´t know what is!!!! jejejeeeeeeeeeeee!!!! :icon_lol: they see me like and strange UFO man!!!! men in BLACK!!!  :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted:
I stay tuned on this take your time, but please don´t forget to post it.

SALUTIS desde PERÚ!!!

JRC4558D

Quote from: LaceSensor on July 31, 2012, 06:46:18 PM

I used TL074 and TL072

The pedal all "functions" as it should
- Phase switch (In or out of phase LFOs)
- Dual / Single LFO
( All the optocouplers respond to show this )
- slow switch and square wave LFO working

Only problem is it sounds not good...
And I have some wrong voltages on the Audio side TL074 quad opamp compared to my v4 DoppelGanger.

I have tried Green LEDs, Red LEDs with LDRs as well as silonex NSL-32s with the same results.
I think its just a problem with my build but I cant for the life of me spot it.

When I get the time and patience I will make another PCB
I had maybe one or two resitros I wasnt sure of due to wierd ones in the lovetone, but I measured resistances in circuit and did it like that.

I can make a BOM perhaps but I dont know all the part numbers, I havent created a schematic so it would just be positions on the PCB layout.

Good news is the PCB I created toner transfers ok for my use (with a cheap mono lazer printer).
Im sure between us we can get a Dopp clone rolling...

OK, I'll do my BOM, I'll try to do it based on the V4 (I am almost sure I have some pics of it) there are some components that are blocking the part number on the PCB so I don't know wich the number are, I mean I can read C (it is 47pF styroflex) but have no idea if it is C4 or C2 for instance, and there is a 220uF electrolytic, also unknown part number.

Also there is a resistor that is 6 band color code, this particular one has a temperature coheficient, I really doubt if it (the coheficient) do something or not, that particular resistor is 91K, 50 C degrees, I can't see the part number of that resistor but it is right there close to C11 (PCB V3) but I guess you could use any 91K resistor.

I was following both PCB V3 and V4 and I guess that they put some external components on the PCB in V4 that were out on V3, that's the main difference as far as I remember.

All the time I've been working on V3, because I have a really good pic of the PCB's back, but if you have the PCB on V4 I could do it on that one, that would be better I guess to compare results.

I'll wait your layout. If you have the chance it would be nice to take a pic of the PCB and to add component numbers where those are hidden, that will be cool for the BOM.

Could you be more specific about "it sound not good"? is it distortion? weak/thin sound? dynamics are too slow? Did you check caps out polarity?

I have a mess with switches cables, any help with that will be appreciated :)

cheers mate!

Provisional BOM:
------------------

C1:22nf
C2: ---- ?? 220uf ??
C3:10uf
C4: ---- ?? 47pF ??
C5:4n7
C6:0.01uf 63v
C7:47pf
C8:22nf 63v
C9:6n8 63v
C10:47nf
C11:10uf
C12:10uf
C13: ------????
C14:10uf
C15:220uf
C16:10uf

All LIN
-------
VR1: 100k (LFO1)
VR2: 100K (LFO2)
VR3: 1K (LF SPAN)
VR4: 1K (HF SPAN)
VR5: ?? 100K ?? (COLOUR)
VR6: 100K (BLEND)

U1: TL074 CN
U2: TL072 CN
U3: TL074 CN
U4: TL072 CN

D1: 1N4001
D2: 1N914
D3: 1N4001
D4: 1N4001

I haven't got any resistor part number, just the values...

JRC4558D

Quote from: GodSaveMetal on July 31, 2012, 08:10:44 PM
IN MY country WOBULATOR what?????????????? they don´t know what is!!!! jejejeeeeeeeeeeee!!!! :icon_lol: they see me like and strange UFO man!!!! men in BLACK!!!  :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted:
I stay tuned on this take your time, but please don´t forget to post it.

SALUTIS desde PERÚ!!!

Hola Roberto, this is about DOPPELGANGER (Phaser) not WOBULATOR (tremolo)... those are different beasts ;).

Cheers, from London.

JRC4558D

Quote from: JRC4558D on April 19, 2012, 08:13:40 AM
Quote from: charmonder on January 14, 2012, 04:18:19 PM

as far as I know those transformers and the four diodes like in your web link, are part of a "ring modulator" wich is part of the Lovetone "Ring Stinger", not wobulator nor doppelganger. I hope this helps you.

cheers.

Sorry man I was wrong, there are two trafos in the Wobulator, (OEP 1200) those are Isolation Transformers 600-600 ohms for Telcos, those are here http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?sku=1172348&CMP=KNC-GUK-FUK-GEN-SKU-ROBOTICS&mckv=sQr53oO5u|pcrid|13358782749|kword|oep1200|match|p|plid|, you can download the PDF datasheet from here http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/13721.pdf, I hope this help you, agian, sorry.

Cheers.

JRC4558D

Provisional BOM 2:
------------------

Capacitors
------------
C1: 22nf    63v polyester
C2: 47pF    63v polystyrene
C3: 10uf    35v Electrolytic
C4: 220uF    35v Electrolytic
C5: 4n7    63v polyester
C6: 0.01uf    63v polyester
C7: 47pf    63v polystyrene
C8: 22nf    63v polyester
C9: 6n8    63v polyester
C10: 47nf    63v polystyrene
C11: 10uf    35v Electrolytic
C12: 10uf    35v Electrolytic
C13: 10uf    35v Electrolytic
C14: 10uf    35v Electrolytic
C15: 220uf    35v Electrolytic
C16: 10uf    35v Electrolytic
C17: 47nf    63v polystyrene

Potentiometers (All LIN)
---------------------------
VR1: 100k (LFO1)
VR2: 100K (LFO2)
VR3: 1K (LF SPAN)
VR4: 1K (HF SPAN)
VR5: 100K (COLOUR)
VR6: 100K (BLEND)

IC
----
U1: TL074 CN
U2: TL072 CN
U3: TL074 CN
U4: TL072 CN

Diodes
--------
D1: 1N4001
D2: 1N914
D3: 1N914
D4: 1N4002
D5: 1N4002

6 Band resistors
----------------
270k  1% 50PPM/C red-violet-black... (top right of the board)
3M3   1% 50PPM/C orange-orange... (top right of the board)
47R   1% 50PPM/C yellow-violet... (top right of the board)
91K   1% 50PPM/C white-black... (close to C11)